Suggestions please

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:35 am

So using the cms

So { 81cm (length) x 36cm (depth) } / 30 = 97 cm of fish.

Work to about 90 cm of fish as suggested as a max.

... right lets pick some fish (piranha lol)
Superman

Postby David » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:39 am

You don't need to check it every day but it's always good to see your progress.
It's fine if you don't but do test every sort of like 4-5 and when your nitrite peak starts to lower test it every 2 days until gone.
To my calculations it was 91cm, o well. I'm probably wrong, i'm very good at that. :lol:
Also remember this rule mainly counts for smaller fish, larger you should consider mass and waste etc.

Furthermore it's always good to under stock! :wink:
David

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 am

i have a friend who lives round the corner, might be able to rope him into having a quick look over it whilst I'm away. will cost me a few pints tho.

Say when I've actually got the fish and he might not be able to help. Is there a way of feeding the fish or like not feeding them for upto 2 weeks?

Plus when it says fish like to be in a shoal (spel) how many is that? 5 or 10?
Superman

Postby David » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:54 am

Superman wrote:i have a friend who lives round the corner, might be able to rope him into having a quick look over it whilst I'm away. will cost me a few pints tho.

Say when I've actually got the fish and he might not be able to help. Is there a way of feeding the fish or like not feeding them for upto 2 weeks?

Plus when it says fish like to be in a shoal (spel) how many is that? 5 or 10?

No real need, aslong as you test it before and continuously after!
With feeding fish when away, an automatic fish feeder will be ok, also your friend could feed them but most hardy fish would be ok without feeding.

We would consider a shoal more than 6 fish of the same species.
In the wild they shoal in thousands so it's best to provide as bigger shoal as you can!
David

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 pm

How about starting with a (I mean on my planning stage)...

suckermouth catfish (plus its the only one i can remember that the lfs had instock. I remember they looked well little but my book says they're 30cm when fully grown. wow. Are they a good catfish to have?

I think catfish look well good sitting at the lower bit of the tank.
Superman

Postby David » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:07 pm

common plecos(suckermouths) can easily exceed 30cm, i saw some a few weekends ago at 50cm! :shock:
Much to big for your tank, have a look at bristle nose plec, charismatic and only reaches around 14cm!

Another type of catfish (but don't rasp onto the glass) would be corys, very active and pretty(especially corydoras similis)!

And also don't dismiss loaches! :P
David

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:09 pm

think I'll put kettle on!
Superman

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 pm

Well done Superman...you don't get scared and flee to the hills yet...
Yes it's a good idea to have the kettle on almost constantly at this stage...it takes a while. In fact thanks for reminding me...I could do with a cuppa... :D
Don't worry about the dozens and dozens of species there are around - you need to work out what kind of water you have and that will narrow down your choices. I'm in Derbyshire which means peat soils - the water is therefore soft and acidic so that means it's perfect for South American Cichlids...
If you know what geoglogical area you're in that'd help?
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 pm

Apistogramma wrote:I'm in Derbyshire which means peat soils - the water is therefore soft and acidic so that means it's perfect for South American Cichlids...
If you know what geoglogical area you're in that'd help?

I'm Halifax, West Yorkshire. So that means fab sunshine, blue skies and natural mineral water flowing through the tap. yes as if!

I don't know to be honest, the water seems ok, much better than my native Hull.
Superman

Postby krekra » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:52 pm

OK so while you are deciding which tank to buy. Get a liquid reagent test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. Take a clean cup that has been well rinsed of any soap or cleaners and fill it with leuk warm water from your tap. let the cup sit 24 hours and test the water. That will give you an idea of what you are working with and what fish types are going to thrive in your tank.

Next you have to decide....real plants, fake plants, or not sure. Real plants would require a possible up grade in lighting from what comes with the tank, or the lighting may limit you to only low light plants.

Once you have decided on the plant thing and you know what your water is like then you can start to think about gravel type and color to best suite your plants and fish types you are going to be looking at.

Tank it one step at a time so you dont get too overwhelmed! You have plenty of time while that tank is cycling to decide on fish :D
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:02 pm

ok another trip to the pet shop
Superman

Postby David » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:00 pm

The closest water quality input on PFK is...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/watermapdata.php?waterquality=55

But that is probably a little different. :?
David

Postby Apistogramma » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:07 pm

I love this part...excuses to visit the petshop LOTS...hehe
Halifax is on Millstone Grit so your water is probably erring towards acidic if it's supplied from a local source.
The test kit will show you for certain...
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby Superman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm

only got one pet shop round here :( Bit of a drive and my car is in for a service tomorrow too.

actually, think I've seen a few but not listed, will have a fun round town tomorrow.

Not in a rush to get started tbh, more thinking time. Actually, thinking of getting the equipment once I'm back from my hols. Then I'll know how much spending money I have as expect to spend some beer tokens on holiday 8) :P
Superman

Postby krekra » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:49 pm

Sounds good! Dont let us scare you off withour overzelous "help" :lol:

When ever you decided to set up feel free to pop on for help. There is also a lot of info posted on the main site too so a nice read through will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/

cheers!!

k
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners