death in quarantine!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

death in quarantine!

Postby griffithimage » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:26 am

Hi I brought home some black mollies and notice some unusual behaviour so I placed thme in a quarantine tank. The next day they died and had what looked like white skin that was "peeling" off them. Do I have to do a 100% water change before I use the QT again? Should I treat the fish in the main tank that were in contact with the mollies?

Thanks
griffithimage

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Are the fish in the main tank looking OK? If so, I would leave it. I think it more likely the mollies didn't like conditions in your tank rather than them have some sort of infectious disease that will spread to the others. Sounds like they lost their protective slime coat.
Does your Q tank sit unfiltered in between having fish in it? To be safe you could do a water change and clean the gravel (if it has any but Q tabnks don't usually).
Carylnz

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:51 pm

whats your tank temp?? skin peeling can be disease but can also be an over heated tank,ive seen it where a heaters stuck on and basicly started cooking the fish worth a check.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby griffithimage » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:34 pm

chaoz wrote:whats your tank temp?? skin peeling can be disease but can also be an over heated tank,ive seen it where a heaters stuck on and basicly started cooking the fish worth a check.

thanks about 77 F
griffithimage

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:41 pm

counts that out then :D
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Re: death in quarantine!

Postby JoJoJo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:26 am

griffithimage wrote:Hi I brought home some black mollies and notice some unusual behaviour so I placed thme in a quarantine tank. The next day they died and had what looked like white skin that was "peeling" off them. Do I have to do a 100% water change before I use the QT again? Should I treat the fish in the main tank that were in contact with the mollies?

Thanks

Should not let the QT fishes being in the main tank, yet. Do 50% change water, better to use main tank water.
I am from Hong Kong.
JoJoJo

Return to Beginners