Can any1 help, need advice on Platies

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Can any1 help, need advice on Platies

Postby sparkly_eyes » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi, I have read up on platies and I'm confused, two of them have a 'black mark' near their back end which i have read means they are pregnant? but one of them looks male (because of the tail) and the males look bigger then my females, this black mark do you think it is just part of their colouring? as a male cant be pregnant :?:
sparkly_eyes

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:54 pm

When female platies are close to dropping their fry they develop a dark spot by the anus and you can often see the eyes of the fry through the belly. Do not confuse this dark spot with natural markings on the fish.
Look at the fin below the body of the fish. In males it is long and pointed (called a gonopodium) and females have an ordinary rounded one much smaller.
Carylnz

Postby sparkly_eyes » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 pm

I have read about them and they are both female, still dont know if they are pregnant as they dont keep still long enough
sparkly_eyes

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:44 pm

If you have two females chances are they are both pregnant. It's a lot harder to find females that aren't!!
If you wait a few weeks you will find out for sure - if you want to keep all the fry you will need to seperate them into a second tank, if you leave them with their mothers they will eat their own young given half a chance so lots of plants, hidey holes, large gravel substrate etc will give them the best chances of survival.
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby sparkly_eyes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:39 am

thanks for your help, i have not long had them in my tank as this is my first tank, so i will prob wait until i know for sure, thanks again :D
sparkly_eyes

Postby sparkly_eyes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:46 pm

one of the females black spot isnt there anymore! but cant see any babies anywhere, could she have aborted them? i know they do this if too stressed , and its only been gone since this afternoon
sparkly_eyes

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:41 pm

Yes she could have aborted them. They sometimes then have a pink coloured feaces. It's also possible she gave birth and they've all been eaten but if your tank is a decent size and you can't see any babies hiding anywhere it's much more likely she aborted. Platies can carry sperm for several pregnancies at once so don't be surprised if she becomes pregnant again in the next few weeks!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Beginners