Hi There!!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Hi There!!

Postby sargie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:34 pm

Im new to this forum and was wandering what other fish could i add to my collection,

I have a 3ft by 1.5ft by 1ft tank

In my tank i have

Two Big tinfoil Barbs
5 Red eye tetras
4 sword fish (2male/2female)
two rosie barbs (male)
brisle nose cat fish(small)
pointed fin cat fish(medium)
Stone cleaner Cat Fish (sorry dont know the name)(small)
1 bala shark(not growing at all)
two other medium size fish again dont know there names.

Whats the best food for these type of fish,

i was wanting to add something with nice colours!!
sargie

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi and welcome. Now for the bad news. Your tank is not big enough for the tinfoil barbs or the bala shark. I have no idea what a pointed fin catfish is but suspect it too may be in the 'too large' category (but may be totally wrong).
Sword fish. I assume you mean swordtails? If so, you need more females and less males as the males will harass and eventually kill the females if they are not in a ratio of at least 2 or 3F to 1M.
Rosy barbs are shoaling fish. If you get rid of the tinfoils and bala you cuold add moer rosy barbs to make them happier. They also colour up and display a lot better in a shoal of 6 or more.
There are a number of barbs, similar to the rosy, of different colours you could add (once you have removed the unsuitable ones).
These fish will all enjoy a variety of foods whether live, frozen or dry. Flake is fine with bottom feeder pellets for the bristlenose and catfish. They also appreciate veges.
Carylnz

Return to Beginners