carbon in filters?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

carbon in filters?

Postby guilders » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi I am a noobie,

I have a 38.5 l aquarium (a baby I know) which has been cycling for 3 weeks now, I started the cycling with 2 small black finned sharks (2") and the levels seem fine for the cycling process.

I did some research into tropical setups before I started but wasnt very clued up - until I found this site which I have to say is excellent and has given me valuable informtion about my new hobby (which has kind of turned into an addiction - I love it! :P ) However when I first started I was unsure how much time and care had to go into a fish tank and I didnt do enough water changes and my sharks developed white spot, which I identified immediately and treated with liquid medication from my lfs - the instructions said to remove carbon but that was it - I read in antoher post that the carbon in a filter can remove all medication before it reaches the fish - the propblem is that I dont know if my filter has carbon or not :?: - how do you know? my filter is an internal one called a 'stingray' i think ( sorry I can tbe more specific but I am at work and dont have the details with me!

Happily my sharks have sprung back to life and all signs of white spot have disappeard - having read a lot about it I beleive it was my fault for not changing the water frequently enough. I am currently doing 10 - 20 % changes every other day which seems to work really well.

I know that my tank is too small to have adult sharks in it but I am moving house in 8 months with somewhere with more space to hopefully get a 6ft tank so hopefully that will be ok. if anyone thinks they will need a bigger space before that then please let me know, i will return them to my lfs as I dont want to cause then any stress!!

Sorry for such a long winded post!!!!

Lisa :D
guilders

Postby dw » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Hi, the stringray filters have carbon and zeolite in the 2 little plastic cartridges that sit either side of the actual pump.

They don't hold a lot, so I guess it's possible that there wasn't active carbon to take out all the treatment, and that's why it still worked!
Andy
dw

Postby chaoz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:02 pm

im not sure which your sharks are by you saying" black finned sharks" any chance of a pic?

most sharks have to be kept on there own not 2 sharks together,as they mature they become aggressive to there own/similar lookin species and will fight.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby guilders » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:37 am

chaoz -
I have two silver/bala sharks, I did check a few write ups on them before I got them and generally they said that they are a shoaling fish and peacefull fish for a community tank ..... is that right?
guilders

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:10 am

yes they are pretty peacefull but,they need a minimun of a 6ft tank they grow to around 12 inches long and are excellent jumpers so do need a quite secure lid.

chaoz

Postby guilders » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:17 am

My aunt is going to have then in a few months if I still havnt moved house she will have them in her 8.5 ft tank where they shoud be fine - she has had fish for years and years!

Thanks for the concern though!
guilders

Postby chaoz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:21 am

your welcome, just so many bala's get sold and the lfs dont tell people the size they can grow to, and its only the fish that end up suffering :(

chaoz

Postby guilders » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:25 pm

just a quick one -

on average at what rate do they grow - they are v small at the moment (2"), they seem fine in the tank at the moment and have enought room to swim around but i will transfer them when I need to.
guilders

Postby Angel Fish » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:08 pm

Mine have grown from approx 2" to almost 5" in less than 6 months.
They grow pretty quickly.
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby Apistogramma » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:45 pm

They like to be in shoals, that means a minimum of six! Something for you to think about when you get that 6' tank. :)
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Postby guilders » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 am

i will definately get more, I love them and its nice to see fish behave as naturally as possible. .... I am just convincing my boyfriend that we could move the lounge round and fit a nice 6 footer in :wink:
guilders

Postby chaoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 pm

haha convince?? put ya foot down n get him told hehe :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

chaoz

Postby guilders » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:11 pm

convincing him is more in my favour - he has to make the cabinet!!!!! If I go in all guns blazing telling him that we are getting a 6 ft tank he might just tell me to get on with it and I will be left high and dry ... or wet as the case maybe if I tied to build a cabinet myself!! :shock:

He is coming round to the idea - I cant belevive how much I love this hobby it is so lovely watching them. I havent watched TV for weeks now!
guilders

Postby chaoz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:25 pm

lmao watchin them more than the tv? i sold mine 4 years ago never watched it was always watchin the fish :D :D

if yo do get a 6ft you will need a vey substansial stand some pics of mine on here( i made my own)

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa243/chaoz_r/

also you will need to have a solid floor not floorboards(or very good bracing for yout floorif floorboards.

if you need any hep over your stand il be glad to help

chaoz

Postby guilders » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:57 pm

Thank you :P

my boyf i a builder / carpenter so I am hoping he could be quite useful. The floors were replaced a year ago, they are very well braced ith steel lintels so they should be fine - my only concern is getting it up the stairs!

Your tank looks awesome and your pleco looks a lot of fun!

When I get my big tank does it necessarily mean hat I have to have big fish - I like smaller ones more I think and I love shoals I i like stuff like clown loaches, clown plecos, bala sharks and my new found favourite thing ever (at the monet ) - tiger barbs!!!!! they aere alsways on the go! Would this be what is called a communtiy tank?

thanks for the offer of help - you might be asked a few questions!!!
guilders

Next

Return to Beginners