Feeding my new Neon Tetras - ultimate basic question

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Feeding my new Neon Tetras - ultimate basic question

Postby drinkduffbeers » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:11 am

Hi every one

I have introduced 6 Neon Tetras to my new tank today. When I came to feed them they did not notice the food and only ate a tiny proportion of it as the odd crumb floated past them. I wanted to drop more food in to make sure they all got some but know thats a bad idea. Will their natural instincts kick in or do i have to attract their attention prior to feeding . Also should i turn the bubbles off to give them a better view of the surface

Thanks in advance
drinkduffbeers

Postby chaoz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:22 am

they prob wont feed properly for a few days till they de-stress,find there way round and settle in.

just crumble up a small ammount of flake that they eat pretty quickly or you will pollute yor tank.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Re: Feeding my new Neon Tetras - ultimate basic question

Postby jzaine » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:29 am

Just out of curiosity, what is your tank size and how was it cycled? In my experiences with neons, they are a very skittish fish. but I agree with chaoz, it will take a few days for them to get used to their surroundings.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby drinkduffbeers » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:47 pm

I think it was a time thing. When I attempted to feed them today they ate the lot. :lol:

Tank is Rio 125 32*12*15
drinkduffbeers

Postby chaoz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:12 am

you will prob find its the same with 99% of fish just takes a bit of time for them to settle in.
Unofficial TTT fish rehomer :)

im just a clown loach addict!!!

chaoz

Postby JoJoJo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:53 am

chaoz wrote:they prob wont feed properly for a few days till they de-stress,find there way round and settle in.

Agree. I suggest not to feed to much. If they cannot finish the food, then the food probably goes moldy. The moldy food makes the water condition going bad.
I am from Hong Kong.
JoJoJo

Return to Beginners