Fish & pH Levels

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Fish & pH Levels

Postby Superman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:14 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread so that when others come later on they'll be able to find the information easier.

In my other thread David said that my water was ok for certain types of fish.

Could someone explain what pH ranges etc certain fish like?
12"x10"x8" Optiwhite Journal Link

Juwel Vision 180 Journal Link
Superman

Postby David » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:14 pm

Well it really depends on what water your lfs has. Could you ask to one you use for buying fish what the ph is?

You have slightly acidic water, very close to neutral and most fish do great in those waters, a nice shoal of hatchets, tetras some dwarf cichlids and some corys and/or a bristle nose plec would look great and all would do brill in those conditions, hows that sounding?

I have kept fish who ideally like acidic water in my tank water which is more on the alkaline side without any problems! In IME it depends what water your lfs has!

David
David

Postby krekra » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:33 pm

Well there are certain fish that you would certainly steer clear of with soft more acidic water. Mollies for example prefer hard more alkaline water and actually thrive in more brackish conditions. In your tank a mollie may survive but it wouldnt really thrive. In sub-optimal conditions they are prone to fungas and other diseases.

Also you would have to steer clear of most if not all of the african lake cichlids as they also prefer hard alkaline water.

It all depends on what their natural enviroment is like. Thus the reason for trying a bio-type tank where all the fish are from the same general area. Many of the commonly kept fish have been bred for generations in water that is different from their natural enviroent and so the captive strains have "adapted" to survive much better then the wild caught in different conditions. On the other hand they as a strain population have not been exposed to the same disease and predation pressures and so the weaker genes have been allowed to spread around a bit so they may not be as hardy in the long run.

PH can effect things like the oxygen and carbon dioxide carrying capacity of the water, the fishes ability to osmoregulate, and the percentage of ammonia in the ionized vs unionized form. The unionized form of ammonia is much more toxic and is much more prevalent in a higher pH situation.

Your pH is fine for most community fish. Its the low kH and Gh readings that would worry me a bit because it means your water is more at risk for pH fluctuations. Although I wouldnt consider the dip strip to be that accurate to be reading a 0 KH.????/

Does any of that makes sense.....let me read through it again and make sure I didnt flip flop anything.....hmmmm...right....OK....yep sounds OK

K
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:07 pm

Most fish these days are farm bred so not necessarily in the pH they would have had in the wild. Check what the pH is where you purchased the fish.
I kept and bred Africans in 7.0 as that is what the breeder had them in and that is what my tap water is. Saved mucking about with pH levels :wink:
Carylnz

Postby Apistogramma » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:08 pm

The fish index on the main forum will give you more of an idea of which fish would do well in your water: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/fishindx.htm

Your readings are close to mine and I keep several species of South American & Dwarf Cichlids.
The real secret...well I think I figured it out...lots and lots of water changes. As much as you can each week in small amounts but frequently. I change 30% of my tank water a week in three sessions over the week and keep my nitrates below 5ppm. As my tank is still less than six months old and establishing itself I'm hoping that this will give all my fishies the best possible start in life and they're all responding by growing well, pairing up, establishing territories and looking healthy and calm. And some of the fish I've picked have reputations for being more difficult to keep. So whatever you choose to keep if the water is low in nitrates it's going to be a big help!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Beginners