new tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new tank

Postby guppylove » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:29 pm

hi glad to register from looe cornwall love the site just got new tank got some fish after 4 weeks water is fine would like some angel fish any advise
guppylove

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Welcome to the tank. What size is your tank, what fish do you already have in it? Best not to add any more fish yet until your tank has fully cycled.
Carylnz

Postby Tigerhair » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 am

Congrats on the new tank!
I used to keep angel fish - they can get grumpy when they are fully grown, especially if they start to breed. I managed to get my pair in another tank and they laid eggs loads of times, I think I only had one "hatching" - they got eaten by their parents before you could say "oh look, so cute, lets go and get some baby food"... "arghhhh"
They are beautiful though.
I will be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box, when there's any evidence of thinking going on inside it! Terry Pratchett
Tigerhair

Postby mollyfish » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:41 am

Hi I am new to the Forum & Tropical Fish, I inherited a tank when some friends moved to Scotland & could not take them with them.

Unfortunately the tank had a leak whilst we were away for the weekend 3 weeks agon and 2 fish were dead on top of the plants thes others swimming in the small amount of water left in the tank.

Needless to say I had to go and buy a new tank, did not have any alternative than to put the fish stright in - they seem quite happy and swimming around nicely.

I have 5 Bleeding Hearts, 3 Zebras, 2 Black Mollies, 2 Lemon Mollies, 2 Catfish, 22 Neons and 1 plec.

I bought the only tank left in the local shop which is 16" deep, 17 1/2" wind and 6 3/4 front to back, what is the volume of water in here, can anyone tell me please.

My husband is going to repair the other tank and I wondered what type of fish to put in there, what go together well.

Thank you
mollyfish

Postby mollyfish » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:43 am

sorry that should read 2 neons not 22
mollyfish

Postby Wolfgirl » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:52 am

Well, I think some of the fish you have now will have to go into the repaired tank. They'll be OK for now as long as you keep up regular water changes and don't overfeed, but this is only an emergency situation. :)
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Return to Beginners