new to this

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new to this

Postby shaun260380 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:18 pm

hi im new to this forum and tropical fish keeping but im very enthusiastic
i have a 100 litre tank, with 1 fighting fish 2 guppy's and 2 female and 1 male plecs
im just wondering what to add next and how often to change the water and the filters any advice greatly be appreciated
thanks shaun
shaun260380

Re: new to this

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:23 am

Hi Sean and welcome.
What sort of 'plecs' do you have? Many will grow way too large for a 100L and one would be too many, let alone 3. If you actually have a smaller catfish, like an Ancistrus bristlenose (which is often erroneously called a plec) then they will be fine.
Guppies, unless you have 2 of the same sex, should be in groups of 1 male to 3 or more females. If you have 1 of each sex, the male will harass the female to death.
How long has the tank been up and running?
There are many different fish which would be suitable but what sort do you like?
Most recommend a 10% water change weekly, or 20% fortnightly.
You do not "change" the filters at all. You need to clean them when the water return flow drops noticeably. Until then, leave them alone. That is where all the good bacteria live and cleaning, or replacing filter media, too often will be detrimental to the tank. When you do need to clean the filter pads or media, a quick rinse in used tank water is all that is required. You do not need to replace sponges unless they are falling to bits.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby shaun260380 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks for the reply the plecs I don't really know what they are there grey and red, I just want some fish with a lot of colour and that will get on well with each other, thanks for the info on the water change how often do I add the stress coat and de clorinator, thanks again for the info and sorry mithering lol. Thanks shaun
shaun260380

Postby Angel Fish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:46 pm

You add the dechlorinator to the clean water before you add it to the tank when doing a water change.
Would it be possible to return the Fighting Fish? They are happier in smaller tanks and really don't mix well with Guppies - They see the pretty tails and take them for other Fighting Fish - This can result in fin nipping and quite often the death of at least one of the fish :shock:
All the advice I give is based on my own personal 30 years of experience.
Main TT Page
Diabetes Forum
Angel Fish

Postby shaun260380 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:54 pm

hi thanks the info i didnt know that about fighting fish can you recommend anything to go with guppies also this sound a bit silly but how long do i leave the light on for nobody seems to know.
thanks sorry for being so dime lol
forgot to mention there not plecs as i was told there platys
shaun260380

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 am

If you have live plants the lights need to be on at least 8 hours minimum, 12 hours max. Less than that and they can't photosynthesise. More and the algae will outcompete them.
If you do not have live plants then you don't actually need lights at all. The fish don't care. They will care though if you leave lights on 24/7 as they need to sleep.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby shaun260380 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info I'm getting 3 danyos and 2 bottom feeders on Friday anything I should know ? If not thanks again for the reply
shaun260380

Postby Prime Ordeal » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:41 pm

I wouldn't get danios as in small ( and often in large) numbers they can be fin nippers. The guppies and fighting fish's tails would be too much of a temptation. Also they are very fast, lively fish and this will likely upset the fighting fish.

As to the bottom feeders it depends on what species they are as to whether they will be problematic.
Experience means nothing if it's the wrong experience!
Prime Ordeal

Postby shaun260380 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi I've only got 4 danoes and they seem to be ok so far the bottom feeders are corydoles, thanks everyone for the help how often do danoes need feeding ? anymore info is greatly appreciated
shaun260380

Postby shaun260380 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:06 am

ok thats the last time i listen to pets at home ive lost almost all my original fish i got one 1 platy and 4 danoes left what am i doing wrong?
shaun260380

Postby Prime Ordeal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 am

Looking back through the thread I'd say your tank is probably not cycled. How did your fish die? How were they behaving before they died?

Have you been adding the dechlorinator in the right dose at each water change?

Do you have a test kit to test for ammonia?
Prime Ordeal

Postby shaun260380 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:35 am

hi yeah ive been testing the water at pets at home they do it for you the amonia level was off the chart but manager said the fish should be dead so he thought it was a false reading, the fighting fish was swimming very oddly when i got it out all its back fins where in pieces and its eyes had glazed over. the guppies died quite quickly one after the other i just found them at the top of the tank any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
shaun260380

Postby Prime Ordeal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Shaun your tank is not cycled and the fish died because of the high amount of toxins (being produced by the fish) in it.

You need to do an immediate water change of at least 50% then you need to buy a test kit so that you can monitor the toxins and keep them at a tolerable level for your fish until the tank cycles, this can take two weeks to two months. A reasonably priced test kit is the API one which you can get off ebay for about £20. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/API-Freshwate ... 3a69d4ccbe

So, until you get your test kit change about 10% of the water every day. Make sure you dechlorinate that water with the right dose of dechlorinator.If you see your fish behaving oddly at any time do a an immediaate water change. It would also help if you got a dechlorinator that detoxifies ammonia such as Seachem Prime. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seachem-Prime ... 4cf32be4de

I feel very sorry for those poor fish. Being cooked in ammonia is not a pleasant way to die.

Get your test kit and we can help you from there but please make regular water changes in the meantime or your remaining fish WILL die.
Prime Ordeal

Postby shaun260380 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 pm

hi thanks for the info really appreciate it i'll do the 50% water change tonight and i'll buy that bottle off ebay thanks
shaun260380

Return to Beginners