sex of Columbian shark

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

sex of Columbian shark

Postby chris_hines11 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:08 am

i have 2 columbian sharks . and will be getting more . how do i tell which is male or female ?
chris_hines11

Re: sex of Columbian shark

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:45 pm

I have never seen these but sites I have looked at say they are not the best aquarium choice. Do you also realise they are fresh water when young but brackish they mature?
One site said they have not been spawned in captivity but the ones I looked never said how to sex them.
Basics seem to be;
Name: Colombian Shark, White Tip Shark, Colombian Catfish
Scientific Name: Exanematichthys seemanni
Origin: Central America
Adult Size: 14"
Social: Schooling fish, but will eat smaller fish once an adult.
Diet: Omnivore
Ideal pH: 6.8-8
Temperature: 22-26 C
Tank Level: Bottom & mid-region
Minimum tank size: 75 gallons
Care: Difficult
Breeding: Egg layer, mouthbroader

The Colombian shark is a very active and entertaining fish, however it is one of the most difficult aquarium species to raise correctly as it has very specific needs. When you first purchase your Colombian, chances are it will be starved to keep at a minimal size for transporting, and should be conditioned with a few meaty bloodworms.
The Colombian is a brackish fish, which in nature migrates through both fresh and saltwater. Juveniles can live in fresh water, but should be acclimated to brackish, and eventually marine as they reach adulthood.
This fish enjoys large open areas to swim, and unlike most catfish doesn't really need any caves, rock, or wood to hide under. Juvenile's, however, can be quite shy if not provided with at least minimal plant cover.
Tank mates for the Colombian have to be able to handle the salinity and water parameters and must be large enough not to be considered prey. Large mollies are a good choice. The Colombian is a schooling fish and should be kept with at least 3 of its own kind.
As for a diet, the Colombian shark is a great example of an omnivore. It will readily accept regular flake food but should also eat catfish pellets and frozen bloodworms for an occasional treat.
Breeding the Colombian is extremely difficult and has never been proven to be successful in captivity. The female will lay a few large eggs which are then incubated in the mouth of the male.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: sex of Columbian shark

Postby smolek » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:44 am

chris_hines11 wrote:i have 2 columbian sharks . and will be getting more . how do i tell which is male or female ?

Did you find out? :rofl:
smolek

Return to Beginners