Totally hooked on this aquarium lark!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Totally hooked on this aquarium lark!

Postby shrimpgirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:29 pm

I have had some advice from some of you about a few months ago and realised what I really wanted was a marine tank. I have also trawled this site and consumed vast amoutns of great advice and information. However, I quickly learned that I needed to cut my teeth on a freshwater tank first. So, I recently set up my new freshwater 180l community aquarium. I am slowly adding to the population. I started with 4 Tiger Barbs who took about 4 days to settle down and start acting naturally. When I added 2 more Tiger Barbs, having read that 6 is a good number to avoid them nipping at other fish, they became a nice little shoal.

I have also inroduced 3 Albino Bronze Corys who are absolutely wonderful. I was expecting quiet bottom dwelling fish and instead they are really active, spend a lot of time in the middle of the tank and put the Barbs in their place the moment they arrived. I plan to add another 2-3 to make a confident little group but they are already really confident. It was fascinating to see how differently they coped with moving to a new home and how differently they behave in general. They will also quite happily join the Barbs' shoal which really surprised me.

I have also got 3 African Dwarf Frogs who are so cool but I'm having issues with feeding them so that's a bit of a worry. I have posted a question about that elsewhere on the boards.

I'm still taking water to my local shop for testing and advice and not entirely happy going it alone yet. I am absolutely loving having a little microcosm of life in my living room and my house cats are really enjoying the in-house entertainment (Don't worry, they can't get the fish!) When I first whent to my local shop the guy I spoke to was talking about his 17 tanks. My partner and I were amazed at having that many tanks but are already seeing the merits of having multiple tanks! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and tell everyone how great it is to join the fun! :rofl: :balloons:
9 x Tiger Barbs
3 x Albino Bronze Corys
3 x African Dwarf Frogs
Planted community aquarium
180l corner tank
Work in progress
shrimpgirl

Return to Beginners