Bloatted fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Bloatted fish

Postby lucky57 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi
Newbie here, ive had my aquarium for about 4months now, I do a general maintenance every week, change water, hoover gravel wash filters etc., water parameters are correct, most fishes are fine. My problem is my platies have died, one went bent in the middle and died. The second had babies, then kept hiding I thought she was having a second load, she stopped eating and after a while she died. Another platy, suddenly started hiding came down in the morning and she had died. I also have two platties, who I thought maybe pregnant one was very swollen, she was very active in the tank eating well, then she started hiding under the filter housing, I thought she was either going to have fry or hiding from the guppies who kept poking her. Anway she died a few days later. Another platy seems – slightly swollen, but very active and eating well the guppies are constantly poking her she is allowing them.
My aquarium is Jewel 350L well planted community, the fishes that have died are from start up. I am treat my tank with a fish Tonic and disease free (I think that’s what its called)
lucky57

Re: Bloatted fish

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Were all the platies from the same place? I would consider poor genetics. A common problem these days when fish are bred for quantity and not quality. :|
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby lucky57 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes, i brought six together, only 2 remaining and i think they will be going the same way as the guppies have started poking them in the side.
lucky57

Postby Carylnz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

I would try getting fish from another store.
When you say "most fishes are fine" do you mean all but the new platies? If not, then there will be more to it.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners