How much Gravel?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

How much Gravel?

Postby New Keeper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm in the process of getting all the bits and bobs for setting up a new tank. I need to move my 180 litre tank and found a bargain of a new tank in my lfs so am setting this up from scratch and just moving plants and fishes from my old tank over. Thought this was probably easier than moving the one I have currently. Well I am having a little dilema about gravel, my tank is currently set up with sand and i'm thinking of using black gravel this time instead. How much would I need for a 160 ltr tank. And has anyone had dealings with Fluval Satrum and how much dyou think I need? I just asked teh girl in the shop near where I work and she said i'd need about 24kg, is that right. I'm now thinking of just putting it around the plants I want and using normal black gravel for the rest of the tank.

What have other people got in their tanks??

Thanks for all responses :)
New Keeper

Re: How much Gravel?

Postby lasata » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:24 pm

I loved the look of the black gravel in the lfs in the dry tanks it looked brill. so i bought some. worse choice ive ever made i think. i thought it would show the colours of my fish up a lot better. WRONG. it reflects no light the tank even with the light on constantly looks dark and my bala sharks when they are near the bottom you can barely see them as the black reflects off their scales. i tipped a few bags of white in over the top and immediately it all looked brighter. sorry i dont want to put you off it and if you have seen it set up and like it then great but just wanted to give you my opinion on it. ive also noticed that after only 4 weeks its losing its blackness and appearing slightly brown despite me giving it regular cleans etc.
220 litre / FLUVAL U4 filter
lasata

Postby New Keeper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks very much for the reply, I am having mixed thoughts about the dark gravel. I'm really pleased with your input, thank you. I am definatly thinking gravel though rather than sand.

Thanks again
New Keeper

Postby englishmx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:53 pm

I have Fluval Stratum in a 30Litre tank, that took a whole 4kg bag to give me a 1" depth so you would need approx 5/6 4Kg bags. At £20ish a bag, that could prove very costly.

I have JBL Manado in a 180L tank, pleased with how it looks and much better at holding plants that the Stratum and it would be a lot more gentle on you wallet

http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwate ... jbl-manado
Mike...
englishmx

Postby donna121kitten » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi. iv just re done my tank with black sand. it looks a hell of a lot better the the black and blue gravel i had b4.
Its really up to what u like. I have a 125 ltr tank and bought a 25kilo bag of black sand.
Iv got about 2 and half inches of it and still got loads left in the bag.

Got it off ebay.

Donna.x
donna121kitten

Postby ian_m » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:09 pm

I have just redone my Juwel Vision 180 this weekend.

I took 1 1/2 washing up bowls of Limpopo black sand out of the tank an put back about 1-2cm, then 8Kg of Fluval Stratum (about 2-3cm deep) and finally all the remaining sand + 3/4 of a 12.5Kg bag of Limpopo black sand to give a capping layer of 2cm odd. All in all about about 7-8cm (3inch) deep, this deep to hold the plants.

Generally I think the rule of thumb is 1Kg of sand does 200cm2 to 5cm deep.

Need to shop around for the Limpopo black sand (I still have an unopened 12.5Kg back if anyone interested !!) and Fluval Stratum as there is quite a lot of price variation.
ian_m

Postby delphine » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm

30cm diametre - around 2cm gravel - 2kg
not in a tank (fabric flowers display) but volumes are the same *:O)
"la meuilleure facon d'marcher, c'est toujours la meme, c'est de mettre un pied d'vant l'autre et d'recommencer; gauche, droite, gauche-droite-gauche..."
delphine

Postby PeterMcgee » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 am

dont forget the substrate you use depends on the type of fish you plan to keep, botttom dwellers prefer a finer sand so imo base what you need on your fish rather than the colour, i have read that dyed substrates leak colour into the water after long use so try to go for a more natural gravel if you can

I have a 200l tank with 22kg of gravel which hold plants down ok but i could do with a bit more to gradient it from back to front
PeterMcgee

Return to Beginners