Breeding Mollies

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Breeding Mollies

Postby lasata » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi, Im wanting some advice on breeding mollies. I have one male and 2 female sailfin mollies and I watched a video last night on mollies mating and shrieked 'mine do that all the time!' ive only had my tank 4 months so not thought about breeding anything yet but now i kinda like the idea of breeding the mollies. but im totally clueless. im assuming i just leave them to it and nature will take its course. Ive ordered a breeding net that hangs on the side of the main tank to put the fry in. Few questions:

how will i know when one of my females in pregnant?
will she need any special care/food whilst pregnant?
how long are they pregnant for?
how will i know when she is about to give birth?
im assuming i net her and put her in the net once she starts having the fry, do i then take her straight out or leave her in with the fry?
how do i feed/care for the fry
when can the fry go into the main tank?

sorry for all the questions but when i decide to try something i like to be fully armed with all the info i need first.

thanks x
220 litre / FLUVAL U4 filter
lasata

Re: Breeding Mollies

Postby Carylnz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:24 am

how will i know when one of my females in pregnant?
Most livebearers are almost constantly pregnant. You will know as she will get fatter and fatter.

No

They can produce a new batch of fry every 4 - 6 weeks

She will look like she is about to burst and the black gravid spot by the anus will be very noticeable

im assuming i net her and put her in the net once she starts having the fry, do i then take her straight out or leave her in with the fry?
Netting her will cause stress and she may abort. Never lift a pregnant fish out of the water using a net. Waiting until she starts having the fry is too late. Better to set her up in a separate tank early on or make sure there is plenty of fine leaved plants in the main tank for the emerging fry to hide in.

Molly fry are big and can eat flake food ground finely between your fingers

When they are big enough to not fit into the other fishes' mouths.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Arbuthnot » Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 am

Carylnz wrote:how will i know when one of my females in pregnant?
Most livebearers are almost constantly pregnant. You will know as she will get fatter and fatter.

No

She will look like she is about to burst and the black gravid spot by the anus will be very noticeable

Netting her will cause stress and she may abort. Never lift a pregnant fish out of the water using a net. Waiting until she starts having the fry is too late. Better to set her up in a separate tank early on or make sure there is plenty of fine leaved plants in the main tank for the emerging fry to hide in.

Might one add that there is no such thing as a Pregnant live bearing fish they become Gravid is the correct term.
Arbuthnot

Postby Carylnz » Thu May 24, 2012 10:04 am

This is true but after many years, I have learned it pays to pick your battles :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby englishmx » Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Arbuthnot wrote:
Carylnz wrote:how will i know when one of my females in pregnant?

No

Might one add that there is no such thing as a Pregnant live bearing fish they become Gravid is the correct term.

Pregnant & gravid are the same thing, just different terminology

The correct term is splitting hairs :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Beginners