Water Test result help

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Water Test result help

Postby SparkyST » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi guys

Just wondering if someone can give me some advice on the test I just did on my water. The tank is a 19litre interpet moonpod. Has no fish at the moment as trying to get the water all ok before adding any. I have done a chemical test with a API Fresh water master test kit and got the following results

PH = 7.6
High PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.50
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0

Are these levels ok to start adding fish?

I have also just added after the test some API Stress Zyme+
SparkyST

Re: Water Test result help

Postby san-ho-zay » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:17 pm

It's odd that you have ammonia in the tank. Is there anything in it that would decay? If that reading is correct, you need a couple of big water changes before you add fish.

Is pH7.6 the limit of the low-range test kit, i.e. the last colour on the chart?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby SparkyST » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks will do a water change and see if that helps it. Nothing in the water that would be decaying.

7.6 is the last value on the chart.
SparkyST

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:30 am

You shouldn't get any Ammonia without any fish or something to produce it. Have you put any cycle produts in there? If not then test again and test your tap water.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby SparkyST » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:48 am

The only things I have put in the water is API Stress Zyme+ and Tapsafe

I have noticed something growing on top of the filter which I am not sure what it is. Looks like black dots with little stalks.

I will do a water change tonight and test the tap water. Do I need to add tapsafe to the tap water before testing it?

I have a gravel cleaner too so will give the gravel a good clean in case anything is in there although I did wash it through thoroughly before adding it to the tank.

The only other thing I can think of is the girlfriend put some sea shells in the tank to make it look pretty so it could be those causing the issue if she didn't clean them properly.

Thanks for all the help so far
SparkyST

Postby san-ho-zay » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:29 am

The black dots with tufts sound like brush algae. Clean it off (it's tough stuff and needs scrubbing) and turn the lights off until you need them on. Keep at it and watch for it cropping up elsewhere -- it can be tough to eradicate once it takes hold.

It would be good to test the water plain and after adding the dechlorinator.

I wouldn't wash the gravel. Some planting soils leach ammonia but with aquarium gravel it's unlikely. If it wasn't aquarium gravel, that could be the problem.

Sea shells won't add ammonia, but are calcium carbonate which are likely to increase your already high pH and hardness, so best taken out if you are expecting to add tropical fishes. Good luck with that ;).

There's no point using the low-range kit by the way, at 8.2 the pH is beyond the range of that kit.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby SparkyST » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks san-ho-zay

I will remove the shells and scrub the algae off. Its not a lot in the filter so hopefully I can eradicate it.

It is aquarium gravel I used.

I will report back in a couple of days with hopefully better results from the water test
SparkyST

Postby ady » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:24 am

it is weird that you got ammonia without fish....as suggested it maybe in the water....long shot tho..but it's not the first time it's been found in a water supply.it seems local authories add it if you on a pipe that has to cover large distance.to keep it santitised and safe to drink...

agree also with the removal of the sea shells,they will slowly dissolve in fresh water and knacker ya water up.

test ya tap water first,just to check if it in there.if not the water changes will dilute the levels down for you.

good luck on this
ady :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 am

Tap water has no ammonia in it. I did a water change and put some more of the API Stress Zyme+ and the ammonia level is now 0 and nitrate and nitirite levels have gone up a bit which I gather is a good sign as the bacteria is now working.

I took the shells out as well.

Bought 3 Neon tetras yesterday and they seem happy so far so will keep checking the water.

I also put some bog wood and live plants in as recommended by the fish shop.
SparkyST

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:26 am

Is it definitily Stress Zyme you're using and not Quick Start or something? You said you put SZ in long before fish which is strange.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby SparkyST » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 am

ItWentWhereverIdidGo wrote:Is it definitily Stress Zyme you're using and not Quick Start or something? You said you put SZ in long before fish which is strange.

Yes definitely Stress Zyme. I didn't calculate the amount to put in correctly so was massively under dosing. Now I have the dosage correct everything seems to be going along well.

Did another test last night. Ammonia is 0, Nitrate is 0 and Nitrite is 20 ppm

I think one of the Tetras is poorly. I havent seen him eat and he sits at the bottom of the tank and doesnt get involved with the others, he isnt as brightly coloured as the others either.
SparkyST

Postby englishmx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 am

SparkyST wrote:

I hope that is a typo :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby SparkyST » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:34 am

englishmx wrote:
SparkyST wrote:

I hope that is a typo :wink:

Whoopsy yes it was a typo

Nitrate is 20ppm, Nitrite is 0
SparkyST

Postby ady » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:45 am

glad it's all settled down :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 am

Had some pretty big Nitrite spike over the last week and had to do 70% water changes every day to sort it out.

Last 2 water tests show the ammonia at 0 and Nitrite at 0 Nitrate is 20ppm, PH level is back to 7.8 on the high PH test so happy that has dropped.

Going to leave it a week to make sure all is ok and then look to add some more fish.

Thanks for all your help on this guys this is an awesome forum 8)
SparkyST

Return to Beginners