Bully platy!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Bully platy!

Postby indigosky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 am

Hi

I have had a 48L tank set up for about 3 months. I currently have 2 male platies (one silver one red wag tail) and 6 platy fry that are about 3 month old (these came from my original female platy who was pregnant when I got her and gave birth and died after 4 days). The tank is cycled and check the parameters every couple of days.

I have noticed that recently my red wag tail platy constantly chases the silver fish - they used to get one fine but since the fry have started to mature he has become aggressive to the other platy - I haven't noticed nipping just chasing. The poor silver fish has taken to hiding a lot although will come out to feed until the bully chases him away. The red wag tail is also chasing the fry a lot. At the moment they all look female but I have read that it is hard to tell until 3-5 months , so I am wondering if the red wag tail is trying to mate with fry?

I intend to take the female plates to the LFS once I can sex them as I don't want anymore fry - although now I am wondering if I should take the red wag tail back too?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
indigosky

Re: Bully platy!

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Part dominance and part wanting to mate with anything that moves :roll:
You may always have difficulty with him now so returning him might be the easiest solution.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners