Fishless Cycle Help / Advice

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Re: Fishless Cycle Help / Advice

Postby peter212693 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Hey!

Yea they are! Im feeding a good amount every other day at the moment and yes 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Although I take it this is normal but Monday morning it was a shade towards 0.25 ammonia (not quite deep yellow on the test kit) when I tested it before work. I tested again after work just to be safe and it was rock solid 0 again :D
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
5 Cherry Barbs (2 Males 3 Females)
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby san-ho-zay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Good stuff. :)

No room for complacency though. Until the bacteria form good colonies and cooperative films with other bacteria, you still need to treat it like a baby tank and keep testing. Don't suddenly decide to clean the filter out, change your substrate or scrub all your plants in the bath! Water changes are a good thing and don't remove bacteria, just no deep cleaning for the time being.

Are you seeing any little signs of algae anywhere?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby peter212693 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Im still testing every day at the moment to be sure.

Algea is forming in the corners of the tank, little spots of brown. If I look really closely there is a tiny bit on the decor, although the clowns seem to be eating it :)

Im doing 30% water changes a week and the moment, water is clear just seem to be a lot of tiny micro bubbles wizzing around, is this normal?

As for filter cleaning, I wasnt thinking of cleaning the filter but I have 3 media trays in there one with a bag of carbon. I was going to add more ceramic rings in place of this, would you recommend this? I will keep the carbon in there for a while due to the bacteria but im thinking in the long run.

12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby san-ho-zay » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Brown algae is usually first and will probably go away on its own. It's a good sign that the tank is maturing really.

Don't worry about the bubbles. It's just because tap water is cold and under pressure. Both mean that more air dissolves than the water can ordinarily handle. Release the pressure, let it warm up and air comes out of solution -- just as when you leave a glass of water out overnight.

If your water takes on a slight yellow tinge, you might want to replace the carbon. If the colour is not a problem, the carbon and the bag are perfectly good bacteral media but no harm in using more rings. Wait and see I guess.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby peter212693 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Since by ammonia spike after using Protozin to cure white spot my API test kit still show no lower than 0.25 ammonia :(

Nitrite is 0ppm and nitrate raising slightly but ammonia will not hit 0 again, Ive done 30% water changes over the last 3 days too :(

Only thing I can think of is im using prime now as a declorinator, due to the fact it binds the ammonia will this give a false reading? Or is it just slower for the bacteria to eat the ammoniUm up?
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby peter212693 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Hello again,

I seem to have a lot of brown dust like algae appearing, mostly in the inlet tube and inside the spray bar. I also have a lot of brown spots appearing on the ornaments.

I take it this is the progresson you mentioned and a sign things are moving on?

If so will this clear up on its own? I currently have the lights on for 7 hours a day.

Cheers!
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Previous

Return to Beginners