Stocking my first tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Stocking my first tank

Postby molloy1987 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Hello, I am intending to start my first tank. The tank I am going with is the Juwel Rio 180. I have chosen to start with 6 cherry barbs, 8 black widow tetras and 2 angel fish (not in one go, obviously). I am also interested in possibly a couple of rams. I would welcome any advice. Is this overstocked? What sort of options do I have for this sort of capacity? Thank you.
molloy1987

Re: Stocking my first tank

Postby Carylnz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi Molly and welcome.
No, that is not overstocked at all. I would add the cherry barbs first and cycle with them. That means, add 6 cherry barbs then wait 1 month. If all is well after 1 month then add the black widows. If small, you could add all 8, if larger then only add 4 at a time. Wait another month between additions of new fish. If all is still well, add the angels last. These fish are very territorial and will "own" the tank if you put them in first.
You may find, as the angels grow, the cherries will become food for them. They do eat neons and cherrys aren't much bigger.
Personally, I would forget the angels and have double the number of cherrys and black widows.
Wait at least 6 months until you add any rams as these are very sensitive to water conditions and prefer a mature tank.
A tank that size will cope with most fish sold as "community" fish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby san-ho-zay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 am

To add to Caryl's comments on cherry barbs, I'd also suggest having at least as many females as males or outnumber the males with females. Cherries are generally peaceful and always so to other species but the males can annoy the females at times.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 am

If you do end up getting black widow tetras then bare in mind that they can be fin nippers. Anything with fancy fins and/or slow moving is likely to get nipped at. Angels are both of these and Rams have fancy fins.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby molloy1987 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:40 pm

In that case would you recommend replacing the black widow tetras with something else? Any advice on stocking at all is appreciated. I wouldn't mind some community examples for that capacity if possible.
molloy1987

Postby san-ho-zay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 pm

I'd consider something other than Angel Fish. Your tank is borderline big enough for adults really. Juwel tanks are tall enough but a bigger tank would be better for Angels.

It's so tempting when starting out to add as many species as possible but bigger groups look much better and fare better in the tank. If you consider that you have about 135cm space in terms of adult size fish, that's 25-40 small fish.

If you could only have one species of fish, what would it be? Sometimes that's a nice way to approach it, basing other tankmates around that.

Also, do you want an active tank with fish bombing around, chasing and non-stop movement? Or something more sedate with fish hanging peacefully, maybe gently searching the bottom for food. Do you have tank decoration and background in mind? Do you want lots of small fish, or a smaller number of medium-sized fish?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby molloy1987 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Originally I really liked the tiger barbs, but after a bit of research I decided I wanted more peacful and community like species.

I did have my heart set on the angelfish and if this is the case I don't mind waiting a little longer and getting the Juwel Rio 240. Would that give me more flexibility, or would I still be limited?

Thanks
molloy1987

Postby san-ho-zay » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

If you want Angel Fish that's what you should get. I think the Rio 240 is a better size and worth saving for.

The only downside with Juwel tanks (and I have one), is that the filter box takes up room in the tank and can be awkward to clean without dumping muck back into the tank. The T5 lighting is good for more ambitious planted tanks but can create algae problems otherwise.

Perhaps something else to consider is the Fluval Roma 240. It's the same size, slightly more expensive than the Juwel, but it has more manageable T8 lighting and comes with a Fluval external filter so no lost space and easy to clean. Distributed flow via the spraybar too. It produces a really tidy setup -- have a look at Peter's photos at the end of this thread (I don't think the external heater comes with it but he might chip in and tell us):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17420
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby peter212693 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm

I love my Roma tank and cant wait to get some fish in it (dam fishless cycle lol). :roll:

The heater doesnt come with it im afraid its cost me £40 but keeps the water a rock solid temperature and its hidden away :). Its a Hydor 300w External heater.
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
5 Cherry Barbs (2 Males 3 Females)
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:29 am

Juwel have recently changed some of the specs on their tanks. They have downgraded the Rio 240 from a 1000 pump to a 600 and they've reduced the filter size. I think it's the 300 they've downgraded too.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby ady » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:36 pm

hi there and welcome to TTT....

i agree with san ho zay....save up if you can and get the 240 if you got space for it.

the angels if you really want them will thankyou and in the long run be better to go bigger.....if you anything like me i want a bigger tank...pond...lake.... :lol:

good luck :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners