Ammonia headache

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Ammonia headache

Postby mattellis18 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Me and the other half got our daughter a 60litre tank which we set up
About a week before her birthday it has been set up for about 8 weeks
And for the last week or so the ammonia levels are just uncontrolable the wife
over stocked it early on (2 x glow light danios 4 x rummies 1 x plec and 3 mollies)
But that was almost 4 weeks ago and everything was fine I have been performing
Dailey water changes since the problem started and it comes down but then shoots straight back up.
I didn't think much of the filter (marina slimline) so replaced it with the fluval
U2 although I have left the other one running till the new one has been
In a while.

I am at a loose end at what else to do
mattellis18

Re: Ammonia headache

Postby thefishman » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:42 am

How much water are you changing with your daily water changes?
The Fish Man
thefishman

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 am

What are the actual dimensions of the tank? A tall tank will hold less fish than a wider one as it is the surface area that is more important than volume.
I am a bit confused as first you said the ammonia levels were uncontrollable then everything was fine then the ammonia levels were rising after each water change (I think). At what point were things "fine"?
Having both filters running is good, as are the daily water changes. How much water are you changing? You need to keep the water changes going until the ammonia stops rising again. That indicates the tank has cycled and the bacteria has built up to match the fish output.
I hope that by "plec" you mean an Ancistrus species, aka bristlenose catfish, as your tank is nowhere near big enough for a plec.
Short finned mollies will cope in your tank but it is too small for the sailfin varieties. They also do best with 1 male and 2 or more females, otherwise you will have problems with aggression.
Have you been testing the nitrites and nitrates along with the ammonia? This will help you know whereabouts in the cycle you are and whether it is moving along as it should.
Keep up the daily water changes and keep both filters running.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby mattellis18 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:35 am

the tank is 60cm x 30cm x 35cm. i am doing between 15 to 20% water changes sometimes a little more.
the levels will drop to about 0.25 after a water change (not fine i know) but a lot better than it was before
then it will go up to around 4.0, the mollies are short fin and there seems to be a little baby molly swimming around
now, I am having a bigger tank for myself and the mrs next month which the plec will be moved to will a bristle nose be ok in the
smaller tank.
mattellis18

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 am

A bristlenose would be OK, just. Do not go adding any more fish until you get that ammonia under control though. If it is dropping to 0.25, what was it before the water change? I would change at least 30% at this point.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby mattellis18 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 am

So if I just keep up the water changes this problem should sort itself out.
mattellis18

Postby ady » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 am

keep up the water changes...this will give the filter time to mature more.this in turn will help with ya water quality levels.

running both together is a good idea...as said no more fish at the mo,let it all settle down.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners