Tank size

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Tank size

Postby SparkyST » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 am

Hi All

I currently have a 19litre tank with a few neon tetras happily swimming around.

I am slowly wearing the GF down to letting me get a bigger tank, I have limited space due to being in a 1 bedroom flat, so wanted some advise on size of tank to get. I think 100litre would be max size but have seen a few 60litre tanks around, how easy are these to maintain as my 19litre tank has been a nightmare with keeping ammonia etc levels low.

Really after a tank so I can get more tetra's as I really like these fish.
SparkyST

Re: Tank size

Postby scottb » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:58 pm

the more water you have in a tank the better as far as maintenance goes,smaller tanks are less forgiving when it comes to ammonia,nitrite spikes etc.as for tank sizes for yourself if you want to take up as less space as possible why not look at taller tanks,iv got a fluval roma 90 which is only 2ft in length but as it has the extra height and width it holds 90ltrs whereas most 2ft tanks usually hold about 50 or 60 ltrs
Juwel rio 240-american cichlids
juwel rio 180-community
Juwel rio 180 vision-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Postby ady » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:22 pm

if you going up from a 19l,to say 100l you will be in place regarding water quality/stability,as long as you dont over stock of course. :)

i have a 54 litre,2 footer under my main tank..it's used as a growing on tank/neon tank.it's got a internal filter.

currently has 5 neons,2 small mollies.4 guppies...and a refugee angel fish.... :lol:

the filter was established from filter squeeze...

i change around 25 % water a week at the mo..was more when it was full of baby mollies.

yes the smaller tanks are harder to maintian water parameters.but with an established filter of appropriate size and not over stocked,you will be fine.as long as you keep an eye on the fish and do regular partial water changes.increase the stock slowly and let the filter mature.you cant beat a good old water change regime. 8)

when you upgrade the tank,you have two options,regarding the filter..run both old and new together for around a month to allow it to get seeded with bacteria.. or a good filter squeeze into the media of the new filter,seeding it.i have always used the squeeze method.I do it by squeezing the media into a bowl with a small amount of tank water.add the media and let it soak for a few mins.

good luck with the expansion of ya tank...i would go for the biggest i could..

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Well I went to the fish shop today to browse for some more tetras. Ended up seeing a aqua start 600 for sale. So I ended up buying that. It's 80litres and 2ft wide. Looks much better and lots more room for the tetras I have to swim around.

Set up with the water from my old tank plus fresh water with prime added, old filter from old tank added as well as the filter that came with the tank, seeded the new filter with the built in filter from my old tank so hopefully cycling will be sped up.

Now time to find some new plants to add as its looking a tad bear with 2 plants and a ornament.
SparkyST

Postby ady » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:46 pm

bet you loving the new tank..as said before it will be easier to maintain the tank water quality.

just keep an eye on the water at this stage,but as you have seeded the filter you will be up to mature a lot sooner..

hope all goes well and that you enjoying ya new tank...

as for plants,i would go for some nice easy types to start with anubias,java fern etc etc.....as some plants need more light than others.it does depend on the lighting your new tank has of course.

enjoy
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:59 pm

ady wrote:bet you loving the new tank..as said before it will be easier to maintain the tank water quality.

just keep an eye on the water at this stage,but as you have seeded the filter you will be up to mature a lot sooner..

hope all goes well and that you enjoying ya new tank...

as for plants,i would go for some nice easy types to start with anubias,java fern etc etc.....as some plants need more light than others.it does depend on the lighting your new tank has of course.

enjoy

Thanks Ady

Loving the new tank, have been monitoring the water levels every day and all is well so far. I have to 2 Anubias plants that were in the old tank already which are looking a bit lost in the new tank so looking for some more plants for the background of the tank. Java fern could be a good shout. Ideally low maintenance. I have 2 T5 bulbs in the hood for lighting and they are generally on for about 8-10 hours per day.

Thinking of turning the tank into a Tetra species tank as they stay fairly small and very easy to look after.

The Anubias are sprouting new leaves so they must be happy :)
SparkyST

Return to Beginners