Red Clawed Crabs -URGENT HELP PLEASE!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Red Clawed Crabs -URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Postby Bensyboo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi,

I got 2 red clawed crabs today at my lfs and I was told they would be fine with my 2 albino corys as they're very quick.

I've got them home and they're really awesome :D but I was quite alarmed to then read that they need a land space so they can get air?? Now I'm in a complete panic because I don't have the tank set up in such away that they can get air.

Is this right? If so i need to do a major rush out to pets at home and get some bogwood or rocks so I can build them a place to climb up to ger air.

Don't want them to die :(

Any advice would be great!

Bensyboo

Re: Red Clawed Crabs -URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Postby englishmx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 am

Yes they need 'land areas' just make sure they can't escape :wink: they also like places to hide away and ideally be kept in Brackish water, personally I wouldn't hold out much hope for your Cory's, keep an eye on things, you might be lucky!
Mike...
englishmx

Re: Red Clawed Crabs -URGENT HELP PLEASE!

Postby Bensyboo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:21 pm

I built them a little area in the corner of the tank with wood allowing them to climb onto one of those floating platforms you use for turtles last night, I've also lowered the water level to stop them escaping!

I was really pleased to see both Cory's still swimming round this morning bless their little fins! :D

Came home this afternoon to find both crabs chilling out on the floating platform it was very cute!

This is going to be a very addictive hobby, I'm already saving for a bigger tank with a stand :lol:
Bensyboo

Return to Beginners