Enough surface agitation?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Enough surface agitation?

Postby peter212693 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Hello all,

I have a Fluval Roma 200 tank and running a Aquamanta EFX400 canister filter (rated for up to 400L). All is running fine after my fishless cycle and now nearly fully stock, im running a air stone 24/7 at the moment and wondered if I have enough agitation for the oxidization from the filter alone?

I have uploaded a video to see what you think?

http://youtu.be/wXwVDS2e1J8

Many Thanks!
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
5 Cherry Barbs (2 Males 3 Females)
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Re: Enough surface agitation?

Postby englishmx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 am

Plenty :wink:

Well certainly more than I have on a 180L without any probs
Mike...
englishmx

Postby ady » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:59 am

loads of it matey...

air stones create their own surface agitation,thats how it works..no need to add any as you have enuf. 8)

although i still have my air stone on because my tank has a hood.i use em to ensure here is enuf air in the hood,so the rippling is constantly getting fresh air..

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby peter212693 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:36 am

Sorry for the slow reply ive been away on holiday :)

Thanks for your replies, I do have a hood on mine too, I will keep on eye on them and see.
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby peter212693 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:09 pm

I had mine off all day but noticed tonight a couple of the neon tetras and one five banded barbs dart to the top quickly then spit out an air bubble. Is this normal behavior? Ive put the stone back on now just incase. I did notice that the temp is normally 25.2'c but it has raised to 26'c tonight with the heat and the lights being on. I know warmer water holds less air but is this normal for it to rise this much?

Thanks
12 Neon Tetras
8 Rummynose Tertas
1 Bristlenose Plec
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
5 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Zebra Loaches
peter212693

Postby ady » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:50 pm

i did a water change to cool the tank this weekend just gone...i live near the hottest place in the country on Sat...hit 32.4 round here...mind you i attended a hippy wedding in a field on saturday.....thank god no suits...shorts and shirt..happy days... :)
on sunday morning it was 29-30c.....the hot weather had made the tank gain lots of heat.

i did a 25 % water change with cold water,this dropped the tank a few degrees.didnt wanna do too big a change and shock the fish with the sudden drop...

during the change i let the filter keep running.this caused much surface movement,which would help with the oxygen exchange.as you said hot water holds less oxygen.it stirred the water up lovely.

with your air line on and with that much movement you should enough exchange happening even in this weather.... 8)

the tank temp has slowly dropped back down over the last few days...as the weather aint so blazing here now..
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners