First tropical tank, help with what fishies please

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

First tropical tank, help with what fishies please

Postby Wayne-D » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your time, I'm about to set up my first ever aquarium (tropical) and would like some advice on what fish to include ... I'm not sure if this is ok, over loaded or underloaded if so could you suggest some additions or increase some of the included breeds but I would like to play things safe for now. It's only in the planning stage, no equipment has even been bought yet... But I can't wait :-) (I will cycle fully and slow introduce first).

Cardinal tetra X10
Pearl gourami X4
Sterbas Cory X6

Fluval Roma 125 litre Aquarium, 80 x 35 x 45 cm
Fluval U3 Internal Filter
Fluval Mirrored M Series Heater 150watt

Substrate: Black inert sand

Planted medium/lightly with
Rear: Echinodorus Rose
Mid: Very light use of Echinodorus Vesuvius, plenty of natural Bogwood and stone ornaments

Thanks again for any advice you can offer,

~Wayne
Wayne-D

Re: First tropical tank, help with what fishies please

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:30 am

Sounds very nice and a good fish selection. I would add the 4 pearl gourami (assuming they are small ones) to cycle with (or do a fishless cycle first if you prefer. Please note, this does not mean fill the tank with water, turn the heater and filter on, then leave it for a week) first.
If all is well after one month and water tests are excellent, I would then add half the cardinals. Another month, if all is well, add the other half and wait another month.
You could then add the Sterbais as they prefer a more mature tank (preferably over 6 months old but you ought to be fine at this point)
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Wayne-D » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:26 pm

thanks for the help, I'll go with the original list... After fishless cycling, fear not I've read up on the process.

just a quick thought would you say theres enough room for a viper shrimp after the tanks been running at optimal for a while? If so, would it bother the tank mates?
Wayne-D

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Someone else will have to answer that question as they are not available in my country :(
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 pm

welcome fella.....

sounds like a nice set up you have planned..

i went the fish in cycle route on my first tank coz i had a big old filter squeeze from next door neighbours external.
so had some hardy fish in striaght away...... :D

once you all set to add fish,after the cycling period.....resist the temptation to stock to quick,as suggested already.that can prove a very slippery slope to disasters with water quality.

the fish you selected are lovely and with their varied body shapes and colour you wil have contrast and the pearls are stunning when adult 8)

have a good old read of the forum boards,it will help no end...does me...and still learning... :)

keep feeding light,what they consume in a few mins...dont neglect regular water changes,never wash filter out in tap water...only tank water,never over clean the filter and you will have a nice stable tank.

and of course happy,healthy stunning fish....also what out for the signs of multiple tank syndrome...highly contagious it is..if you find yourself eyeing up more spaces in ya house that would look great with a tank..you in trouble :rofl:

anyways welcome.......this forum is a great place for advice,so ask away....we dont nip fins :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Wayne-D » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:40 pm

cheers I'll take the advice given, when I stop being so dirt poor and get the tank (soon I hope)!

Your right about bigger tanks... I've already gone around the house with a tape measure but alas im limited to 125L (unless I evict someone from the house).
Wayne-D

Postby ady » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:34 am

:rofl:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners