Discus or similar...

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Discus or similar...

Postby mbro » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am

HI All,

I recently acquired a 190l tank from a work colleague and it has come relatively well stocked as a community tank.

5 x Platys
3 x Albino Cory
a whole host of varying tetras including, neons, glowlite, black phantom
6 gourami - couple of opaline, kissing and golden
red tail black shark
couple of clown loaches
clown tiger plec
single guppy

The tank is relatively well planted and has a number of hiding places due to the mix of fish for territorial reasons etc.

The wife is looking to put some discus or similar fish in, having been mesmerised by their swimming motion - similar to the gourami.

I am not sure if we will be able to or not.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks
mbro

Re: Discus or similar...

Postby ADFpowell7 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am

hi mbro

i also was looking to buy a couple of discus for my new 120 l aquarium, but discovered that as they are part of the cichlid family, they can eat and nip at small fish, so there would be a chance of your tetras being bullied or eaten

but it is entirely up to you if you want to take the risk or not

hope this helped :)
ADFpowell7

Postby ady » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:44 pm

discus live in soft,warm water and do not suit life in a general community tank,unfortunately...

ideal tank mates would be smaller fish like the cardinal tetra..bigger for or similar size fish will scare the discus as they can be timid....although they are the most stunning fish.

temperature of water is around 29-30 C.

i have never kept them myself,but have reasearched them alot,just finished reading an article on them actually....it's shame my other big tank cracked 6 months ago...coz i would have loved to kept these beauties and may still do if i get another tank....

have you posted on the chiclid board about this ?....you mite find a proper keeper or expert on the discus that can give you a better lowdown on these...

good luck with ya new tank anyway.. :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby mbro » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks to you both for this info.

WIll post in the Cichlid section now thanks
mbro

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 am

I have answered this in your other thread. It pays to keep a question in one place and not repeated so you can clearly see all answers.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners