New Filter added to mature tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New Filter added to mature tank

Postby midsmikey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi, I'd like some advise please, I have just added a new filter (Fluval internal 3 section) to one of my tanks (95ltr) there was nothing wrong with my old filter except it was only a sponge type and felt it would be better to have a better filter, I've been told to add the filter but leave it switched off, can anyone advise me how long I should leave my new filer in the tank (which has been set up for around 4years) before I can switch over to the new filter and remove the old.

Mike :)
midsmikey

Re: New Filter added to mature tank

Postby SparkyST » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm

I would leave both running. I have also recently bought a new filter for the same reasons. I was advised to leave both running for 3-6 weeks before removing the old one.
SparkyST

Postby midsmikey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks Sparky :D
midsmikey

Postby SparkyST » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:54 am

Also worth giving your old sponge filter a squeeze into your new filter to seed it and get the bacteria levels growing faster
SparkyST

Postby ady » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:42 am

leaving old filter turned off will only cause the bacteria to die and can play havov with ya water....

as suggested,seed the new filter with a squeeze from old and run them both together.seeding will speed up colonisation of your new media.in new filter. 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners