What Are Some Good FIsh For A 29 Gallon Tank?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

What Are Some Good FIsh For A 29 Gallon Tank?

Postby Pl3C0 Fan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:34 am

Hello everybody. I'm new to fish keeping and i was wondering on some fish for my 29 gallon tank. I would like some active fish that are entertaining and nothing too flashy. Also before I bought my tank I used rough gravel instead of smooth. Can anyone possibly recommend me a bottom dweller that is ok with that gravel.
Pl3C0 Fan

Re: What Are Some Good FIsh For A 29 Gallon Tank?

Postby Pl3C0 Fan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

I just bought some golden wonder killifish :-) THx for Nothing!
Pl3C0 Fan

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm

You are welcome! Thanks for giving us so little information to go on. For instance, the following would have been helpful..
What country do you live in? I could recommend many species but have no idea if those available in my country are as readily available in yours.
29 gallons? Is that imperial or US gallons?
Are you setting up a tropical, cold, brackish or marine?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Pl3C0 Fan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Sorry for spazzing out. Is there any fish you recommend with killifish? I have 3 and live in Canada, it gets pretty cold but i had a heater. Oh and yes US gallons. Also any food you recommend for german blue rams and bolovian rams. Mine won't eat. They only eat the flakes that go to the bottom and maybe 2-4 bloodworms each. Anyway thank you answering, and is there any way I can and pics on this chat?
Pl3C0 Fan

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 am

There you go then. How were we to know you were in Canada and talking US gallons? This site is based in the UK and I live in NZ. Other members are all over the world.
Some killies are OK in a community tank but most people keep them in a species only. Having looked up what a golden wonder killie was (the common names vary from country to country) I discovered you have an Aplocheilus lineatus, also sometimes called Striped Panchax or Panchax Lineatus. This is one of the non annuals and a hardy fish which can be kept in a community tank if you not to have them with smaller fish (neons, cardinals etc. I hope they are not with the rams but they might be OK as they tend to stay at the bottom level while the killies prefer the top) or they will be eaten. Other killifish and bigger fish can be kept in the same tank. They can be aggressive towards fish of the same species and it is recommended you keep them in a pair. Several pairs should not be kept together if the tank is not large enough as they will be too aggressive towards each other. I suspect, with 3, one of yours may get bullied but, then again, you might be OK as the tank is a good size. Kept in proper conditions, they can live up to 4 years.
They need a minimum 10 US gallon tank with floating plants as these fish swim close to the surface and use the floating plants to hide in.
They prefer soft and slightly acidic slow moving water. Make sure you have a lid as killies are great jumpers!
These fish are not fussy when it comes to food and will eat live, dried or frozen. It is best to feed them floating foods as they spend most of their time right under the surface of the water. Live food will help them to develop and keep their best colors. It is also recommended to feed them live food when conditioning them for breeding.

Rams need variety in their diet. Feed a high-quality flake food with brine shrimp, bloodworms, glassworms, white worms etc (I do not know what live foods are available in Canada). They eat from the substrate so will wait until the flakes hit the bottom. Remember they are not a large fish and the stomach is only a small part of the body so they do not need a lot. Little and often is best.

To put pics on here you need them in an online photo sharing site that allows links eg Flickr or Photobucket etc.
Carylnz

Postby Pl3C0 Fan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:30 am

Dude you just made my day by replying, unfortunately 1 of the rams passed away. My local pet store said it was probably because of unclean water. I did a water change, and oh by the way I added a clown pleco a few weeks ago. He's doing great. Anyway I cleaned the water and added some new fish. 2 petricola synadontis and 3 Unknown fish? The unknown fish were sold to me as american flag killies. But their not. Anyway my GWK killed one of the unknowns. I'm justing going to the store to return them because I don't want them if they'll just going to get slaughtered. Anyway could you recommend me any replacement fish? Remember, 2 GWK (golden wonder killies), 1 clown pleco (always hiding), 2 petricola synadontis ( hope i spelt that right), and 2 dwarf chilids ( very curious but not aggressive). I hope you can help and thx for replying man.

Ps- Yes Canada does have bloodworms, brine shrimp and all that other stuff you recommended.
Pl3C0 Fan

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 am

What is the pH of your tank? You are adding fish from all over the world requiring different conditions so are incompatible to each other.
The killies are from India and like a pH 6.5 - 7.5 and eat smaller fish. They like a well planted aquarium.
The syno is from Lake Tanganyika, needs a 3ft or larger tank, a diet including frozen foods such as shrimp, brineshrimp and mysis and a pH of 7.5 - 9.0. It needs a rocky setup (not planted) with lots of caves and will eat small fish.
The clown plec is South American, needs a dim environment with lots of cool, dark, hiding places and a pH 6.6 - 7.8. It is known to hide so don't expect to see a lot of it.
As for the dwarf cichlids, what sort? These are usually South American and all prefer much more acidic water pH 5.5 - 6.8 and planted. Not suitable to be in the same environment as the African.
The dwarfs are very sensitive to water conditions and need the best water quality you can provide.
Carylnz

Postby Pl3C0 Fan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't think the dwarf chilids will do well in my tank. I've had 2 of them pass. My pH level is normally at 7.0-7.5. I just purchased 2 american flag killifish. They seem to be doing great. Thanks for the help man!
Pl3C0 Fan

Return to Beginners