New to fishkeeping

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New to fishkeeping

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Hello all,
thank you for taking your time to read this.

I have recently renewed an ex-cold water tank from my grandparents into a tropical tank.
With abit of cleaning it was up and ready.
It is 64cm = Length, 30cm = Height & 18cm =Width.
It is a 35 litre tank so it is relatively small.

I put in all the water and left it to stand for a few hours with the heater & filter on, I also used a gravel-vac? to suck up any waste left over from the first clean.
The next day I went to the LFS and bought 4 Platies. 2 sunset and 2 yellow comet? 3 female and 1 male, hopefully in a few months breeding is on the cards.

I am fairly new to looking after tropical fish, so as well as spamming the LFS worker with questions; I also signed up to this as it seems to be beaming with knowledge!

I am aware of the Cycle that will take place in the upcoming weeks and due to that I feel slightly guilty that I am making the 4 Platies bear through all the changes in the water etc. However I was told they are very "hardy" and recommended them to start of with, I also suppose something has to create the waste to start the cycle!

I used a small bottle of Safestart? to boost the beginning of the cycle as I was told it was filled with good bacteria.

I have two photos, however they aren't currently attaching for some reason, maybe another time - sorry guys!

Thanks for your time,
Mitch
4 Yellow Comet Platies + 1 Lavender/Blue Betta.
Mitchbarnes7

Re: New to fishkeeping

Postby EllieWilkes7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi,

I would firstly like to take the time to wish you good luck with your fish and potentially future fish however I would like to clarify the purpose of your post?

Mant thanks
EllieWilkes7

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/fx1dy.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/918wi.jpg/

The file attachment tool isn't working, however I have used an external photo hosting site.
Sorry for the bad lighting and photo quality, mobile phone photo.

The worker at the store also said not to turn on the light until the day after to allow the fish to settle.
Mitchbarnes7

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:09 pm

@EllieWilkes7

To inform the community of the process of starting up my new tank, sorry for the confusion!

Regards,
Mitch
Mitchbarnes7

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 am

Not quite sure why Ellie needed clarification as I thought your post stated everything very well.
Without a lot of plants in there you will not get to keep any fry from future breeding as the other fish will eat them, including mum!
By day 5 you should be testing the ammonia and nitrite levels and doing water changes when these get too high. Bacteria will start to grow and feed off the ammonia and nitrite so minute amounts are OK but not too much. Water changes are the best way to keep the levels down and the bacteria growing. Do not add any more fish until at least another month and the ammonia and nitrite are reading 0 again.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Me either, thank you however haha!

I'm very much considering getting some live plants in the tank as there is a big space where they would fit rather nicely.
The fry hide in them don't they? The guy said come back next week for a water test, I imagine for testing the levels of ammonia and nitrite.
I'm going to purchase a water testing kit anyhow as I'd much rather have the security of knowing the levels as soon as possible if you get my drift.
Thanks for your input/help anyhow!

I'm most likely going to get more fish in around a months time as you suggested, perhaps some form of tetras?

Thanks again,
Mitch
Mitchbarnes7

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:53 am

Fry will indeed hide in the plants, especially if they are fine leafed ones like ambulia, cabomba, Java moss, Indian fern and water sprite.
Only small tetras will suit a tank that size as they are a fast moving fish that like to be in groups.
Don't forget to allow for the constant new batches of fry you will end up with - if the fry have somewhere to hide.
Carylnz

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for your Plant suggestions, i'll get one of those next time i'm in the shop if they grow them. With regards to Tetras are there any types that do not grow that large or do they all just remain small? I think i'll only have 2-4 fry if that, i'll return the rest to the shop. Have you ever used a breeding tank?

Regards,
Mitch
Mitchbarnes7

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:46 am

Breeding tanks are often used (do not confuse them with breeding traps - these are not good).
Many tetras will grow too large for your tank.
I would suggest neon tetras, Hengeli rasboras or cherry barbs.
Carylnz

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Are breeding tanks just completely seperate tanks which the process of breeding from A to B takes place in? Or just seperate tanks in which the pregnant female gives birth in? Sorry for the questions haha, but why are breeding traps bad? Also I will be getting Neon Tetras if i do get a Tetra, thanks for your suggestions, maybe Cherry Barbs too haha.

Many thanks,
Mitch
Mitchbarnes7

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Many use separate breeding tanks so they can be set up to suit the specific fish being bred. Some need lots of plants, or mesh through which the eggs can fall so the fish don't eat them. If you want to breed egg layers you generally need to do so in a separate tank or the eggs just get eaten in the community tank. Some need very acidic conditions and the fry also may have specific needs that can't be met in the community tank.
Breeding traps are used for live bearers but in my experience they cause too much stress and the female can abort. Better to just supply lots of fine leaved plants in which the fry can hide.
Carylnz

Postby Mitchbarnes7 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Considering all of that; I think I will just get live plants and allow nature to take place. I wouldn't want to cause any unnecessary unnatural stress towards the female. Thanks for all of your information, you've been a great help!

Many thanks,
Mitch
Mitchbarnes7

Return to Beginners