First fatality

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

First fatality

Postby ChrisJ95 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:07 am

This morning I awoke to find my albino cory laying on his side due to having some form of tumour, which was, according to all my sources, untreatable and non-contagious. Needless to say I removed the poor thing as soon as I found it and gave it the appropriate funeral. I also carried out a small 10/15% water change and sucked the dirt from the gravel around where it was laying. What I was wondering is whether there is any other sort of protocol I can do within the next day or so as this is my first experience of fish death. Thanks in advance for any help
ChrisJ95

Re: First fatality

Postby Britfish » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:04 am

Sorry for your loss. I remember my first loss and it made me really sad.

With the fish that I have had that have died in the past I have never had any contagious issues unless they have dies from something contagious in the first place. I went on holiday and left with fear and trepidation my tank in the care of my inlaws for 2 weeks. I came home to find 3 dead and the beginnings of white spot. I am treating the whitespot as this is a contagious disease but not concerned with the other deaths, which I think are coincidences. With a tumour I would be surprised to see this effect any others.

I have had Bettas, guaramis, 5 banded barbs and angels all die from sickness over the years and have never had any problems with other fish catching anything. Of course there are always exceptions but I wouldnt lose sleep over it unduly. What you have done sounds like a good precaution.
Britfish

Re: First fatality

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 pm

I agree. I would remove the fish ASAP and do a small water change. If I suspected a problem with water quality I would test that too but in the case of a tumour, not necessary.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners