Newbie water questions, conflicting advise

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Newbie water questions, conflicting advise

Postby discodan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi all,

I know you've answered this a thousand times but I get conflicting intructions from the local store. So My son saves his money buys himself a small 12L tank, I made sure it had a good filter. So we give everything a good clean, rinse the filter in cold water as per the instructions and placed everything in the tank and added water. We then added the bacteria start and left it. It looked great no fish in it but away it went.

Then I relaised we had not put any water safe in, so I visited the pet store on Sunday (sells on fish) who duly informed me, no problem just added some of this 'Interpet water safe'. So I follow the intructions to the letter no problem.

The following morning the water has turned cloudy not that bad but not too good. So I of course call the store and read the web. The store say it's fine it bacteria bloom and is expected leave it, it will clear. Yet others say to do a water change to 50%.

I know the tank hasn't been up and running long but it's so small I reckon if there is 10L of water in there at the most, so what do I do ?
discodan

Re: Newbie water questions, conflicting advise

Postby SparkyST » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Cloudy water will be a bacteria bloom. It will clear in a few days.

My 19 litre tank did the same thing and as you I was worried until I was told its all normal for a new tank and it will clear in a few days, which it did.
SparkyST

Postby discodan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:49 pm

thanks for the reply. I'll leave it a few more days, I was just concenred with all the conflicting advice.
discodan

Postby SparkyST » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Your welcome. Out of interest what are you planning to keep in the tank?

11 litre is very small tank. I got rid of my 19 litre as it was such hard work keeping the ammonia and nitrite levels down
SparkyST

Postby discodan » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 pm

I am thinking a about 3/4 guppies. I know the tank is small but he;s not after many fish it just adds something to hes bedroom. If he gets into it I'll up grade the tank. But for now it's ideal, easy to take care of and get used to.

I just hope the bloom clears pu soon, hopefully it should been so small.

cheers.
discodan

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Then make sure they are all males! :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners