HELP PLEASE

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

HELP PLEASE

Postby keitht » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:14 pm

I AM NEW TO TROPICAL FISH, I STARTED A TANK WITH ALL THE INFO I COULD FIND ON THE NET (CONFUSING OR WHAT) I STARTED A MONTH AGO BUT HAVE NOW LOST ALL BUT 3 OF THE FISH I BOUGHT, I HAVE DONE CYCLING,STRESS ZYME & STRESS COAT BUT NOW STARTED TO SEE FUNGUS ON THE 3 I HAVE LEFT IF I LOSE THESE FISH AND WANT TO START AGAIN DO I NEED TO STERILISE THE TANK PUMP ETC AND START CYCLING ALL OVER AGAIN OR JUST COMPLETELY CHANGE THE WATER AND RETREAT IF SOMEONE WOULD BE KIND ENOUGH TO HELP I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL
keitht

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Keeping fish should not be confusing.
1. Buy tank and set it up with gear and water. Turn all equipment on. Add plants (if using them) and water conditioner if it is required in your area.
2. Leave to settle 3 or 4 days to make sure the heater has stabilised at the required temperature. Once it has...
3. Add fish - SLOWLY. If you have a 2ft tank (standard sizing here so 2 x 1 x 1) add 4 neon sized fish. Wait one month. If all is well, add another 4. Repeat until stocking level is reached. If you have a 3ft tank, add 6 neon sized fish then follow previous plan. 4ft tank - 8 fish etc. Always wait one month between additions.
If you do it like this and bought good quality, healthy, fish, you should not have any disease outbreaks although some fish are more sensitive than others.
If you need advice, ask someone who is not going to profit from it as they will be biased and sell you heaps of stuff you don't need. :roll:

Have you done any water tests?
What levels are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
What size is your tank?
What sort of fish did you get and how were they added?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners