tropical aquarium - Newbie need help please

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

tropical aquarium - Newbie need help please

Postby Sabir.2007 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:08 pm

started of by buying 280Liter tank, fluval 406 filter (external filter) says its recommended for 300 & 400Liter tanks, and a fluval 300w heater, that has a thermostat and a temperature meter,

the guy at the tropical fish shop told me to fill my tank up with tap water and let is stand 3-4 days, and then come back and buy the fish, which i did, i bought 10 neon tetra fishes

today is the fourth day for the 10x neon tetra's, they seem to be fine not really stressed, they behavior is exactly as people describe on the net, they not nipping each other ect,

now today i started to do lots of research and i learned allot about cycling my filter ect, i now see i should have done a fishless cycle, but to late now,

I have ordere a API Liquid Freshwater Master Test Kit which should be here by Monday,

I have done no water change yet, as I went yesterday to the tropical aquarium fish shop and they tested my aquarium water and said its fine, The water temperature is 25c,

Any help will be apricated !!!!
Sabir.2007

Re: tropical aquarium - Newbie need help please

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 pm

10 neons to cycle a 280L tank is fine. They are not the hardiest of fish these days but see how you go. Some are better than others, I assume it depends from where they were bred.
What do you have added to your local water supply? If you have chlorinated water you will need to add Tap Safe or some other product to neutralise the chlorine.
Considering the advice given so far, I would not trust your shop water tests. Buy yourself a good liquid test kit that measures ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
The following is from a guide in tropicalfishkeeping.com...
Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily, performing water changes with a good water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia and nitrite (Seachem's Prime is a good choice) whenever ammonia or nitrite levels exceed 0.5 ppm (0.25ppm is an even safer number). After a few days the ammonia should spike. As the Nitrosomonas bacteria increase in number the ammonia level will start to peter out, replaced by nitrite. The Nitrospira bacteria will then start to grow but since these reproduce more slowly than Nitrosomonas, the nitrite portion of the cycle can take a deal longer than the ammonia portion. Eventually both ammonia and nitrite will continually test at 0 ppm and you'll start seeing a reading for nitrate. At this point the cycle is complete. It's usually best to wait a bit just to make sure there aren't any straggling ammonia or nitrite spikes but after some time you can begin adding more fish to the tank, a few fish every week or two until the tank is stocked. The most important part of the "fish-in" cycle are the ammonia and nitrite tests and the water changes that are needed whenever these readings rear their ugly heads.
Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fres ... z24b22uP8X

Also have a read from the main site from this forum http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/wchem.htm
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: tropical aquarium - Newbie need help please

Postby Sabir.2007 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:08 am

Carylnz wrote:10 neons to cycle a 280L tank is fine. They are not the hardiest of fish these days but see how you go. Some are better than others, I assume it depends from where they were bred.
What do you have added to your local water supply? If you have chlorinated water you will need to add Tap Safe or some other product to neutralise the chlorine.
Considering the advice given so far, I would not trust your shop water tests. Buy yourself a good liquid test kit that measures ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
The following is from a guide in tropicalfishkeeping.com...
Monitor ammonia and nitrite levels daily, performing water changes with a good water conditioner that neutralizes ammonia and nitrite (Seachem's Prime is a good choice) whenever ammonia or nitrite levels exceed 0.5 ppm (0.25ppm is an even safer number). After a few days the ammonia should spike. As the Nitrosomonas bacteria increase in number the ammonia level will start to peter out, replaced by nitrite. The Nitrospira bacteria will then start to grow but since these reproduce more slowly than Nitrosomonas, the nitrite portion of the cycle can take a deal longer than the ammonia portion. Eventually both ammonia and nitrite will continually test at 0 ppm and you'll start seeing a reading for nitrate. At this point the cycle is complete. It's usually best to wait a bit just to make sure there aren't any straggling ammonia or nitrite spikes but after some time you can begin adding more fish to the tank, a few fish every week or two until the tank is stocked. The most important part of the "fish-in" cycle are the ammonia and nitrite tests and the water changes that are needed whenever these readings rear their ugly heads.
Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fres ... z24b22uP8X

Also have a read from the main site from this forum http://thetropicaltank.co.uk/wchem.htm

Hey tanks for the advice sorry I didn't mention before, I bought a bottle of interpet bioactive tapsafe bottle, bottle says instantly removes : toxic chlorine, metal eg copper, and also ads some beneficial stuff, and hopefully the test kit should be here soon

I read through the links and they were very help full thanks
Sabir.2007

Return to Beginners