White Cloud Minnow Fry

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

White Cloud Minnow Fry

Postby Brainfog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Hello

I have not been on in a while but my aquariums are doing well.

I used to have 3 white cloud minnow which did very well for a good few years and I always wanted to have a go at breeding them. I did a bit of research into how and read about setting up a separate tank and a breeding net. But sadly they died of what was most likely a case of their natural lifespan ending without having produced offspring before I got around to setting up a breeding tank.

When I gave my Common Plecos to a fish shop (because they were too big for the 30x30x60cm tank) a little while ago I asked for 3 White cloud minnow and a few other fish, for another tank.

The 3 minnow live in their home with a few floating plants and 5 apple snails. They are the only fish in the tank. I intended on having a go at breeding them but from my reading I did not think it would be easy to get them to lay their eggs. This was supported by my past 3 having never reproduced. I also thought that if they did drop their eggs they would not survive the apple snails.

But guess what. I just spotted some tiny baby White cloud minnow in the tank! :) There are quite a few, maybe as many as 20 varying from about 4mm to 7mm that shine blue.

Obviously I have done nothing to help them along until this point as it has come as quite a surprise. Is there anything I should do or should I take their survival as a sign that I shouldn't change anything? Also why am I suddenly getting fry now and not before?

I just hope I don't end up with the tank being overpopulated.

Thank you and good luck with your aquariums.
Brainfog

Re: White Cloud Minnow Fry

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 am

New younger fish to produce the fry I expect. Good for you!
Make sure there is plenty of food for the fry, and excellent water conditions.
I have never fed anything special for these fry. In a mature tank there is plenty of algae,plankton stuff etc for them to browse over as well as finely crushing flake food between your thumb and finger.
If you can actually see the fry they must be a reasonable age as they are very tiny at birth!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners