New to Tropicals and Planted - Advice Please

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

New to Tropicals and Planted - Advice Please

Postby dfinn » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi,

Been wanting to get together a tropical setup for a while now, in particular a planted tank. Been reading a fair bit about things but I have just acquired a free tank 2ft x 1ft x 1ft with an old Fluval 2 filter and wondered if it would be any good for a planted tank, in particular the light. The tank itself is about 15 years old but seems to be functioning fine.

I can't seem to upload pics of the tank but the light days on it:

Sylvania Standard F14W/ 154 - T8 Daylight ..... enlighten me please.

Also, what size heater would I need for the tank and would the little Fluval 2 filter suffice?

Would like to start straight away with a planted tank, but would I be better as a complete beginner with just a few plants?

Looking forward to doing some more research before I start getting the kit together.

Thanks,

Dan
dfinn

Re: New to Tropicals and Planted - Advice Please

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Sylvania Standard F14W/ 154 - T8 Daylight ..... enlighten me please.
Standard light. Will be fine

Also, what size heater would I need for the tank and would the little Fluval 2 filter suffice?
Check on the heater box as it will recommend size. This will vary depending on how warm your house is or what sort of temperature it drops too at its lowest.

Would like to start straight away with a planted tank, but would I be better as a complete beginner with just a few plants?
Number of plants doesn't matter. Up to a point, the more the merrier. ANy of the common ones sold as "bunch plants" ought to do. Avoid red ones as they need a lot of light. You will need to read up a little top find out the correct way to plant different types but it is all pretty basic.
No special gravel required either. Fish poo is a great fertiliser
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners