Im a complete novice help!!!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Im a complete novice help!!!

Postby goggo84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi Everyone, im very new to this and before buying anything i wanted some advise. Im looking to get a tank for some tropical fish. I thought best to look at the fish i would like and then get a tank that would accomodate them. I really like tetras but have done some research and they like to in groups. First question
1, Can you mix them i.e a couple of rummy nose tetras and a couple of neon tetras?

Second question

2, If this can be done what sort of tank size would i need for approx 5/6 tetras, a mini rainbow fish or mini angel fish and a couple of bottom feeders? ARE THESE FISH EVEN COMPATABLE?

Any advise i would be very grateful

I was looking at the arcadia arc 35l tank as this seemed a good pruce and very reasonable
goggo84

Re: Im a complete novice help!!!

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:44 am

1, Can you mix them i.e a couple of rummy nose tetras and a couple of neon tetras?
Yes but they do not look as good, are not as happy, and do not school properly

2, If this can be done what sort of tank size would i need for approx 5/6 tetras, a mini rainbow fish or mini angel fish and a couple of bottom feeders? ARE THESE FISH EVEN COMPATABLE?
Mini angelfish?? Angels grow large and need at least a 3ft tank and extra height. They can also be nasty nippers.
Which of the smaller rainbows did you have in mind?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners