help needed for tank size and fish!!

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

help needed for tank size and fish!!

Postby HBpencil99 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 am

I am hoping to get a tropical tank for my room but, as I am a complete beginner, I am not sure what is best. I have read that bigger is better and easier to control for beginners but I have a limited budget and space on my desk. I think I could stretch to a 60l tank at the most but 45l would be better.
Also I have read a lot about different calculations for the numbers of fish that can fit in a tank and they come up with very different numbers, which has left me very confused.
The types of fish I was thinking of are:
a siamese fighting fish
Guppies
Danios
Mollies
Tetras

Any advice on tank size, fish numbers and types of fish would be really helpful, thanks
:D :D
54l planted tank
- 6 Silvertip Tetra (2 males + 4 females)
HBpencil99

Re: help needed for tank size and fish!!

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:36 am

You could start with a 45L (I did - many many years ago assuming you are referring to a 2ft x 1 x 1). Try not to mix long finned fish with short finned until you have some experience with which tend to nip and which don't. Tetras would tend to be too active for a tank of that size and probably upset a fighter. They need length to zip about.
Remember that guppies are livebearers and can produce fry every 4 - 6 weeks and usually nobody else wants them as they all have their own! The simple answer is to keep males only. They are more colourful anyway.
Most mollies would also be better in something a bit bigger.
The reason the answer about stocking varies so much is because there are many factors that effect stocking levels... size of tank, type and strength of filtration, cold or tropical, fish species, fish size, maintenance and feeding routines for a start.
Have you considered cherry barbs? A lovely little fish and the males really colour up when in the mood. They would go well with Hengeli rasboras. These look like harlequins except they are smaller and more brightly coloured with a neon orange stripe.
I would have about 24 neon/zebra danio sized fish in a 45L. NOT ADDED ALL AT ONCE! Add 4 fish at a time and wait 4 weeks between new additions. If you do it this way no fish will be harmed and your good bacteria will grow to match the fish bioload.
People tend to start out with a few of this, a few of that, sa different fish catch their eye and they can't resist impulse buying. Many fish actually look better in a larger group of one species, rather than a few of several species. They also show their schooling behaviour and colours a lot more.
How is that to give you something to think about? :mrgreen:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby HBpencil99 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you,
I wasn't thinking about breeding so i would onlly get males which sounds the better choice :D .
i quite like the sound of zebra danios so i think a few of them to start with would be best.
i was just wondering if the size of the tank im looking at makes much of a difference? h1.5ft x L1.5ft x 1ft.
also are rasboras and danios compatible?
Thank you again!
54l planted tank
HBpencil99

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Zebra danios are excellent to start a cycle and they are compatible with rasboras.
As your tank is short, lengthwise, keep the species small. The Hengelis and danios would look very nice.
I would start with 4 danios. Wait a month. If all is well, add another 4. After a month add 4 Hengelis and repeat. You can the reassess whether you want a few more of either of those, or add some cherries or something else to the mix.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby HBpencil99 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:50 pm

in the end i managed to get the size you recomended but it's a 54l so it's a bit biggerwhich hopefully will be better for the fish. thanks for all your help! :D
54l planted tank
HBpencil99

Return to Beginners