bullied platy ?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

bullied platy ?

Postby gemz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 am

Hello,
I fairly new to fish keeping!

I have a 28L tank with 1 male gourami (female died few days ago!)

I introduced 2 platies into my tank a few weeks ago (1 sunset and 1 red tuxedo) it wasn't til I got them home and settled I found out they were both male, the red tuxedo (which is slightly larger) has been chasing the sunset round the tank a lot, I thought they were playing, well they may well be but he seems to do it quite often! I introduced 2 females (micky mouse or moons) into the tank 2days agao hoping the bullying would stop but it hasn't I'm not overly worried as the sunset doesn't seem extremely stressed but any advice would be appreciated

Thank you x
gemz

Re: bullied platy ?

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Typical platy behaviour. You need a mix of 1 male to 2 or 3 females. With 2 males the larger will continually try and dominate the smaller one and eventually harass it to death unless there are plenty of places for it to hide, or other fish the dominant one can chase sometimes.
I am not sure why you are introducing different colour morphs all together. They will interbreed and you will end up with a mish mash of colours. You should have all sunsets or all Mickey Mouse, or all tuxedo, not a mix of all 3.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby gemz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 pm

I have noticed the smaller one does chase/tease back sometimes so maybe it is just playful behaviour, will keep an eye :)
The reason I have micky mouse females is because my partner bought them as a surprise because I mentioned I needed some female, he didn't know to get same colours
So do u recommend getting one or 2 more female?

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated :)
gemz

Postby Carylnz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:59 am

I would get more females or get rid of the smaller male. What looks like playing is actually the fish sorting out the pecking order and letting the others know who's boss. It can get nasty as the fish mature.
There is nothing wrong with mixing the types as you have by the way, I just meant that they will not breed true.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners