Help choosing fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Help choosing fish

Postby rachel1106 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi
I am still cycling my tank and trying to decide what to put in it when it is ready. It is 54Litres (60cm x 30cm x 30cm)
I could not fit a bigger tank in my house!

I was thinking of a pair of African butterfly cichlids and 3 sword fish (orange and black) or the cichlids with some cardinal tetras x6.

I was hoping for a tank of colourful fish with interesting behaviour.

Does this sound ok or would it be over/ under populated?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
rachel1106

Re: Help choosing fish

Postby rachel1106 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi, forgot to ask is there a good algae eater I could add too?
rachel1106

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 am

I have not kept the African butterfly cichlid but other sites recommend a tank base of 80cm x 30cm or a 76L minimum but I also saw that a single pair could breed in a tank your size. It also said they get territorial when spawning so wonder if they are perhaps not suited for your tank.
There are a number of small loaches that will fit your tank or Ancistrus, bristlenose catfish.
Generally speaking, if you want an algae eater just to eat algae, you will likely be disappointed as many find their algae eater will eat any algae - except the type they have in their tank! :roll:
A well balanced and maintained tank will not get much algae anyway.
Corydoras are a nice bottom feeder and would suit your tank size too.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby rachel1106 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your advice. I decided to leave the cichlids. I do love them but can't fit a big enough tank for them in my 2 bedroom house. I put 6 cardinal tetra in my 54l tank and was hoping to add one more type of small fish and some Amano shrimp. The problem is that everything I read is contradictory! Which of these can I put with my cardinals?

Rummy nosed tera, cherry barbs or glow light tetra?

All the profiles I have read say catfish are too big for my tank :cry:
Weirdly I am not getting algae, not complaining as it can be quite a problem just surprised not to find it. (my tank cycled in 3 weeks, won't add fish till the cts have had at least a week).

rachel1106

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:57 pm

The fish you mention all go well with cardinals but for the tank size, I think cherry barbs or glowlights would be most suitable. The rummys would be OK but better in something a little larger as they are a bigger fish and can swim fast.
"Catfish" covers hundreds of species. Corydoras catfish would suit your tank, as would an Ancistrus (bristlenose catfish). There are also a few loach species you might get away with (I am not familiar with species available but it would need to be a small loach as they prefer to be in groups of 3 or more and the tank isn't big enough).
It is not weird to get no algae at this point as the tank is not old enough.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners