I want an unplanted aquarium, Help?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

I want an unplanted aquarium, Help?

Postby IndianoAnnie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm

HI,
Im new to keeping tropical fish and would much rather keep a non-planted tank as I think that learning about keeping fish and maintaining fish all at once will be too much for me and things will go wrong.
In the future I might consider live plants.
My tank is the Aquaone Aquanano 40 and its a 55l tank.
Can anyone give any advice that would help me?
Thanks,
Annie :)

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
Newbie-ish :)
IndianoAnnie

Re: I want an unplanted aquarium, Help?

Postby wilfy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:51 pm

try artificial plants ,it makes for easy maintance,there is a large number of them on the market that imitate real plants .
wilfy

Postby IndianoAnnie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:57 pm

will they work just as well with the fish I choose, I have been looking at them I just didnt know if they would still be okay?
Thanks,

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
IndianoAnnie

Postby wilfy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm

i have a 350l tank ,comunity,all my plants are artificial ,once they have been in the tank a while they look even more realistic ,if i ever figour out how to get my pics on the forum i will post them .lol,wash under warm water ,i use a stiff paint brush to clean mine works a treet,,i dont use the bright coulered ones ,but thats just my prefrence,,a good idear is to wash them in the water taken out during water change ,cuts down on contamination .do a couple every time you do a water change ,that way you cut down on tank disterbance,hope this helps. :idea:
wilfy

Postby IndianoAnnie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 pm

okay thanks alot :) good luck with the pictures
Thanks,

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
IndianoAnnie

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Personally I think aquariums are easier to maintain with live plants as they help keep the tank balanced by using up a lot of the nutrients algae feed on. This means you are less likely to have algae outbreaks in a planted tank.
I agree with wilfy though, if you are going to use plastic or silk plants, please choose natural looking ones!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby IndianoAnnie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 pm

okay :) thanks for the advice
Thanks,

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
IndianoAnnie

Postby J9P » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:43 pm

I set up my tropical community tank in May and I chose to use real plants. I have had no problems with maintaining the plants as well as the fish. I love the look of my aquarium as I think real plants look better than artificial plants but that is just my personal preference.

Another thing that is worth considering is that real plants do give the fish another food source too for a varied diet.

I guess real plants can work out more expensive in the long run though as I have had to replace several plants where my greedy little fish have stripped them bare!

Janine :)
J9P

Postby mamadonald » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:12 pm

I think cost might depend on the types of plants, the types of fish and maybe even the numbers of fish. One year, I had inherited a 20 gallon tank from a teacher with about 7 blue convicts. I would periodically shove in a bunch of elodea from my mother's goldfish pond, and they would munch happily away. They survived beautifully that way during Winter Break.

But in the 20 gal that I have now, I have some kind of broad leaf plant that has been in there for a year, java moss that has been around for about 6 years, and bulbs that I have had since my son was in high school and had to use them for his Science Fair project (8 years). Of course, my tank is lightly stocked. My betta and weather loach are not plants eaters so no nibbling there.

One of the things that I have noticed over the years is that no matter which way you go, everything can get that mulmy stuff all over them. It makes artifical things look dirty. Whereas, real plants just look more real.
20 US gallon
Eheim 2213
planted
1 weather loach
1 Halfmoon Betta
mamadonald

Postby IndianoAnnie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for the good advice! Deffinately considering real plants now, does having real plants help with water quality?
Andrea
Thanks,

55L planted
Red cherry shrimp
Cycled
IndianoAnnie

Postby mamadonald » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:02 pm

IndianoAnnie wrote:Thanks for the good advice! Deffinately considering real plants now, does having real plants help with water quality?
Andrea

Not just yes, but

Absolutely yes.
20 US gallon
Eheim 2213
planted
1 weather loach
1 Halfmoon Betta
mamadonald

Return to Beginners