Cotton Wool Disease

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Cotton Wool Disease

Postby Kimothy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi this is my first post on here!

Can anyone answer my question? I have diagnosed cotton wool disease/cotton mouth on one of my platy's and immediately isolated her and treated with love fish anti bacterial and fungus treatment. After 24 hours all signs of the disease have gone but my question is how long before I can safely put her back in the community tank without risk to the others?
Kimothy

Re: Cotton Wool Disease

Postby Carylnz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Cotton wool disease is usually a result of poor water conditions and/or the result of a wound. Make sure the water quality has improved in the main tank and she should be fine to put straight back once treatment has finished. It is possible other fish have it too but have not shown the symptoms yet. Keep a close eye on the rest and consider treating the whole tank if others show signs of disease.
Test your water to make sure your ammonia and nitrites are 0.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Kimothy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks

I'm not sure it would have been the water quality my tests have been steady at the following

Ph = 7.4
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 20ppm

I did notice a small graze on her so I suppose that could have been the cause.

She also had 3 babies yesterday, am I best to take them out of this tank? Will the treament that was put in there 4 days ago hurt them?
Kimothy

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Not sure if the treatment will hurt the fry and too late to worry about it now. It doesn't matter if they don't survive as she, and any other females, will produce more every 4 - 6 weeks.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners