danios 14 ltr tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

danios 14 ltr tank

Postby jakiana » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Ive just purchased 3 danios for a new 14 ltr tank, cycled the tank before hand water tests were fine, fish all seem happy. Since then ive read this is too small a tank for danios, as they are very active. Is this the case?? I cant afford to buy a larger tank right now, will they be ok in this sized tank?? And if i buy one more to make it 4 will it be overcrowded, as ive read 6 is a more suitable number, although 6 i think will definately overcrowd. Any help will be much appreciated.

Also i have assorted danios, 3 differerent species, i think i have found out what they are, 1 is definately a leopard, the other two i need confirmation, lol. I will post pictures later if i can work out how. Also any ideas as to weather they are M or F would be good!!! x
jakiana

Re: danios 14 ltr tank

Postby Carylnz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Since then ive read this is too small a tank for danios, as they are very active. Is this the case?? Yes, depending on dimensions. They need length to swim
Will they be ok in this sized tank?? Not really as they do not have the room to swim as they should.
And if i buy one more to make it 4 will it be overcrowded? Not overcrowded but if the tank is unsuitable for the 3 you have why add more?
I've read 6 is a more suitable number. Danios are a shoaling fish and happier in groups of 6 or more in a tank 60cm or longer in length.
The only way to tell sex is the males are slimmer and the females are fatter. Males get more colourful when in the mood for spawning too.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: danios 14 ltr tank

Postby jakiana » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:24 am

Thankyou for your reply, I'll have to try and get some money together and get a new tank ASAP. Hopefully they be ok for a couple of weeks. Just measured the tank and the dimensions are all wrong. Looks like I was completely mis-informed regarding the fish that are suitable for this tank.
jakiana

Return to Beginners