danios/tankmates/water temp

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

danios/tankmates/water temp

Postby jakiana » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I posted regarding my 3 danios living in a 14ltr tank. I need to wait till the end of the week but will then go out and get a 95 ltr tank i went to look at today.

At present i have 1 pearl danio, 1 leopard danio and i think the other is a golden zebra but not sure. Once i get the new tank set up and cycled i will purchase another 3 so they are happier. My question is, my current fish are in a coldwater tank (sitting at 23 degrees right now). If i purchase this new tank would the danios acclimatize or survive in a tropical temp?? Also what other fish would be suited to put in with them and how many without overstocking??
jakiana

Re: danios/tankmates/water temp

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Danios are tropical/semi tropical fish and need a heated tank. 23C is not what I call a cold water tank, just because it has no heater does not necessarily mean it is cold.
You could add similar sized species of barbs, rasboras or tetras, dwarf gourami etc
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jakiana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 am

When I said coldwater what I meant was its not heated. How many fish would you recommend in that size tank?? Obviously added in stages not all at once
jakiana

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 am

What are the actual dimensions of the tank?
Carylnz

Postby jakiana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:45 am

Not sure I haven't got it yet lol. Will let you know. Another quick question, my leopard and zebra are behaving very strangely today, chasing each other a lot, round and round in circles and swimming very close next to each other. Is this just playing or some kind of courtship?? My leopard has also got darker especially around the edge of the fins
jakiana

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:41 pm

Could be courtship. If one is slim and getting more brightly coloured and the other fatter, then they will be a pair courting. They go round in circles at times and wriggle together.
Two males going for dominance tend to do more darting about chasing each other, darting in to nip then dashing away again.
Carylnz

Postby jakiana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 pm

The zebra is only small n I think he may be male, the leopard is a a lot bigger but I only have one of each species so have no comparison. They always used to chases along the rank but never seen this behaviour before so not sure what it means. The leopard is slighter plumper but wouldn't call it fat!!
jakiana

Return to Beginners