Fin Nipping of Guppies

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Fin Nipping of Guppies

Postby Captain12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 am

i got some fish today with 4 mick mouse fish and 2 guppies and one of the guppies keeps nipping (i think... its really just getting next to him and opening its mouths really wide. its seems like its biting the other fish... :? ) the mick mouse and the other gupps... i heard its beecause this ones dominate? i know the tanks too small but, i can't afford a larger one yet :O is there another way to stop the nipping? or do i just let some of the fish die?... :(
Captain12

Re: Fin Nipping of Guppies

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 am

I can't comment on tank size since you haven't told us what size it is, how long it has been set up or what, if any, other fish are in there. Since you say it is too small to house the 6 fish you have added, I fear it is also newly set up and not cycled. This means a nipping fish is going to be the least of your problems as the water will soon becomes too toxic for the inhabitants. I hope you have read up on how to cycle an aquarium.
By Mick Mouse fish I assume you mean Mickey Mouse platys? These, like guppies, are livebearers and need to be in a sex ratio of 1 male to 2 or more females.
No, you do not "just let some of the fish die", you return them to the store and explain the problem. The shop may give a refund or swap for something else.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Captain12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 am

so like , its 10 gal... and like i have like 2 male 2 female platys, and i was gonna get 1 male 1 female guppy, but they ran out of females :o... i have cycled it as its what killed my goldfish 2 years ago...
Captain12

Postby Captain12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 am

started cycling*
Captain12

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 am

So you have 2 male guppies and no females? There are going to be problems! Unusual for them to run out of females as it is the males that are more popular due to their brighter colouring and longer tails. I suggest you return one of the male guppies (perhaps the one that is doing the most damage) and swap one of the male platys for a female.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Captain12 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:58 am

thx
Captain12

Return to Beginners