Minor emergency...ill or bullied Platy...?

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Minor emergency...ill or bullied Platy...?

Postby finnyfi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice or info on this query. I have two adult (M&F) Platys, and currently 5 youngsters about 1" in size. recently one of the junior males has been pecking at the adult male, and he's not looking so hot. His caudal fins are now not really in use and stay tucked away, and his dorsal fin lies flat. He's a lot less active, and will move strangely to try to dodge junior's bullying. This attention has been mostly focussed on the tail end of the male, and it looks like he has a faing patchy film or something around here. I'm not sure if this is mucus for repair of the bullying pecks or something more serious. Either way, he's not happy, and I'm struggling to find anything to seperate him with. Does anyone know what this is all about?!
RSVP ASAP Thanks!!
Fi.
finnyfi

Re: Minor emergency...ill or bullied Platy...?

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:35 am

The males are trying to decide who's the boss! Judging by the clamped fins description, the bigger male is not at all well. Float him in a container inside the main tank. Do small daily water changes so he is not swimming in toxic waste. An ice cream container will do (assuming you have 2L plastic ice cream containers over there) or some sort of plastic container or bowl.
He may be developing secondary infections from the nipping or overproducing his slime coat in an effort to protect his scales from irritants. He needs to be separated ASAP.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Minor emergency...ill or bullied Platy...?

Postby finnyfi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks for that, I thought that might have been it as the wee one is a male too. The adult is looking a bit better today, he's in with the others, and there's less of that shirking behaviour around the tank, trying to avoid the others. I guess they just hit that testing adolescent stage! lol.
finnyfi

Return to Beginners