Help, ammonia poisoning

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Help, ammonia poisoning

Postby jakiana » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm currently cycling a 95 litre tank. I bought a 14 ltr tank at pets at home and was completely misinformed by them as to what fish were suitable for this tank, on there advice I now have 3 danios in there. Hence why I have purchased a 95 litre. The larger tank is currently cycling. I now have a major issue with the smaller tank. I had the water tested yesterday, nitrate a little bit up but not a lot, ammonia was very high. I did a 20% water change yesterday and was told I was over feeding (which I agree with, still getting used to the correct amount). This evening I've noticed all the fish have red gills, not as active as normal and two are slightly paler!! I've done another water change. The tank is only 3 weeks old and obviously still cycling. The small filter that came with the tank is not effective, it trickles out. I am now feeding every other day, and will get a new filter tomorrow. How else can I keep these lil guys going until the bigger rank is ready??
jakiana

Re: Help, ammonia poisoning

Postby J9P » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 am

The cycle is kicked off by the addition of the first fish. I had the same problem with my new tank back in May.

What I did (on the recommendation of the more experienced people on here) was daily 25% water changes and tested the water every day. Keep this up until the Ammonia & Nitrites are zero and the Nitrates are either zero or very low. Then go back to weekly water changes.

I use a proper Ammonia test kit, one with 3 bottles and a test tube and a 5 in 1 test strips for everything else (GH, KH, pH, Nitrate & Nitrite).

It's a lot of work but it honestly really is worth the effort.

Janine :)
J9P

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 am

Water changes, at least daily, 25 - 30% are the answer. The gills are red due to the ammonia having burnt the gills. I would throw the danios into the bigger tank. Although it is still cycling there is more water to dilute their ammonia than in the smaller tank so it has to be better for them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jakiana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 am

But the larger tank is even higher in ammonia and nitrates. I will retest the big tank today and see if it's dropped. If its still high shall I move them into there anyway and do the 25% water changes on that tank?
jakiana

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 am

How are you cycling the big tank?
No do not put the fish in there if the ammonia is higher
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jakiana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am

I am still getting to grips with this cycling malarkey lol. I kind of understand it but still reading up on what to do. I was going to add ammonia today and get a test kit. When the water tests were done I had done a water change that morning, not realising that this does absolutely nothing. Maybe that produced inaccurate results, or maybe it's the bit of the other tank water that I added that has allowed it to start cycling.
jakiana

Postby jakiana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:10 pm

Ok so Ive bought a test kit and tested both tanks. The small tank is still high and the larger tank only has 0.25 ammonia and 0 for nitrates. I've opted to transfer the danios to the larger tank and do a fish in cycle, rather than original idea of a fish less cycle then transfer the fish when it was ready. The danios are not happy in the small tank and I feel it would be safer to transfer them now. At least now I have a test kit so I can keep an eye on them on a daily basis and do what's needed to keep them happy
jakiana

Return to Beginners