Help please I have a Cardinal Tetra with a distended belly

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Help please I have a Cardinal Tetra with a distended belly

Postby J9P » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello

I've had my tropical tank set up since the middle of May and I got some fabulous advice and help on here when I had a problem with high ammonia levels very early on after the addition of the first 3 fish.

I now have in the tank 3 swordtails (2 female, 1 male), 3 male guppies, 3 botia loaches, 2 cardinal tetras, a selection of live plants. It's a 64 litre tank.

I added the cardinal tetras 2 weeks ago, there were originally 3 but sadly one of them died the next day. I am pretty sure this was down to stress as it seemed very stressed from the minute it was in the tank and then it died overnight. The water tested all fine at the time and all the other fish were very happy.

The problem I have now is one of the cardinal tetras that is left appears to have a very big stomach, extremely bulgy underneath. It wasn't like it earlier today but it is now so it is very sudden. I fed the fish on frozen bloodworm tonight. Will it just be that one little fish has gorged himself on bloodworm and his stomach is distended from that or do you think there is something else wrong with him? He seems to be swimming around quite normally now and seems fairly happy. I thought he might have looked a tiny bit stressed earlier but I think I may have been imagining it as I was looking hard for signs that something was wrong as I was suddenly panicked by his appearance.

I haven't tested the water tonight but I did test it yesterday and did a water change yesterday because it was due, the levels were all fine yesterday.

I love my fish and I have to date lost 3 along the way, 1 swordtail to the high ammonia at the start, 1 botine loach to stress and 1 cardinal tetra to stress. It might seem silly but I am devastated when I lose a fish and so don't want to lose another one if there is anything I can do to prevent it.

The plan was to get 3 (now 4) more Cardinal tetras and that will be it for the tank.

Any advice would be really gratefully received.

Janine :)

Edited as I got the loach wrong, they are Botia loaches.
J9P

Re: Help please I have a Cardinal Tetra with a distended bel

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 am

It is quite possible you have a guts that overfed. Bloodworms are a good treat every now and then but do not feed them daily.
You might also have a female that is eggbound. Hopefully it will sort itself out.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby J9P » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:44 am

OK thank you. I give them bloodworm about once every couple of weeks because that is how often I remember that they are in the freezer so it really is a treat for them. I hope it does sort itself out, poor little thing. Well I say poor little thing but it is quite happily swimming around as normal so I am less concerned than I was earlier.
J9P

Postby Carylnz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:46 am

Fish are opportunistic feeders and will gorge on whatever they can whenever they can as they have no way of knowing when, or where, their next meal is coming from. Some tend to overdo the gobbling and all act as if they have not been fed in weeks, even if they have just been fed!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby J9P » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:52 am

Tell me about it, they act as if they are starving every time they are fed! Greedy little things, lol! I think the little Cardinal tetra got several other fishes share of the blood worms! Thanks for your help! :)
J9P

Postby J9P » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:30 am

OK the poor little Tetra has gone back to normal and is as happy as anything so I think the little chap just stuffed himself silly on bloodworm!
J9P

Return to Beginners