Newbie Seeking Advice.

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Newbie Seeking Advice.

Postby Scaley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:52 am

I joined this great forum on 24th august, and have spent lots of time since then reading and learning as much as I could, both here and elsewhere, before becoming a "fish slave".

I live in a very small unit, and my first thought was that I wouldn't be able to fit anything larger than 40 litres in my unit. Since then I've given the matter a lot more thought and feel now that I could have a 75 litre tank/aquarium, and this is the particular unit that I'd like to buy http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.co ... etail&p=19

My questions now are: What freshwater fish type/species and number would the more knoweldgable members here recommend that I start off with, and what type/species and numbers could I add over the coming months? I intend having live plants, though I'm not sure what type yet, and I guess that will depend on what my local pet shops have available at the time.
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Re: Newbie Seeking Advice.

Postby J9P » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:27 am

Coldwater or tropical? Community tank or not? What you add will depend on the answers to those questions.

I have limited experience as I am still a beginner myself really. I set up a 64 litre community tropical tank in May. I started my tropical tank with 3 swordtails, then added 3 guppies before moving on to 3 botia loaches and finally I have 2 Cardinal tetras (there were 3 but one died due to stress). The aim is to get 4 more Cardinal tetras and then that will be it for my tank.

My tropical fish shop suggested swordtails, guppies or mollys as hardy start off fish for a community tank but I have heard that danios are also good.

If you are cycling your tank with fish, only add 2-3 fish to start with, I added 3 and sadly lost a swordtail to the high ammonia levels when the cycle kicked off. I had to do daily 25% water changes until the ammonia, nitrites were both zero and the nitrates were 20ppm. I knew nothing about cycling to start with and the fish shop did not warn me about it either so it was a shock to me. My advice would be to read up about it beforehand so you know exactly what to expect and how to deal with it.

Good luck!
J9P

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:29 am

A number of smaller species would fit in there. Remember the majority of members are UK based. There may be some fish available to you that they do not know about.
Cherry barbs, Hengeli rasboras, neons, white clouds, small loaches, a bristlenose catfish, small corydoras, guppies etc.
The tank is higher than it is wide so do not get fish that need a lot of swimming space, like danios.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Scaley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 am

Thanks J9p and Carylnz for your comments and advice, they're much appreciated.

It's my intention to have tropical freshwater fish in a community tank, and I have read up on cycling.

At this stage I like the look of salt and pepper corydoras, neon tetras, serpae tetras and guppies, as these are all readily available locally.

I'm not sure what type/species to start the tank off with though, and would the type/species that I've mentioned be suitable for the tank/aquarium I've chosen, would they all get along together, and what numbers would you suggest I eventually end up with?
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Postby J9P » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Well I have guppies and tetras together and they are fine. My shop told me that Tetras are not as hardy and so not to add them until my tank had been established for quite some time. For that reason they were the last to be added at about 16 weeks. I have no experience with corydoras and so I don't know about those.

I don't know if those types of fish are suitable for a tall tank, guppies are quite active and swim around a lot.

The amount of fish you can put in is dependant on your tank surface area rather than the volume so a tank that is taller than it is wide will hold less fish than the same volume tank that is wider than it is tall.

Here's a link to a tank capacities page that might help:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/tancap.htm

Janine :)
J9P

Postby Scaley » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for your reply Janine. Thanks for that link too, I had read it some time ago, but had forgotten about if when I made my OP.
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Postby Scaley » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Well, after much deliberation on fish tanks/aquariums I picked up my AQUA ONE – AQUA STYLE AR-510 complete with stand, from my LFS (see I've picked up on the jargon already :D ), so the weekend will be spent fiddling around, and setting it up.

After reading the brilliant information on this forum I've decided to go with a fish less cycle, using fish flakes.

Now just to further add to my lack of knowledge and confusion, whilst I was waiting for the staff at my LFS to get my order ready I noticed an API product on the shelf called "Quick Start, which claims that its use "allows the instant addition of fish", as it limits toxic ammonia and nitrite, and another claim is "Immediately starts aquarium cycle" as it contains live nitrifying bacteria, and is all natural. Can this really be true, and if it it would this replace the need for the fish less cycle that I've been reading so much about?
It does say to add the fish progressively, and not all at once.

I'm more confused now than ever before, and I await the answers from the learned members of this forum.

Can ask just one more question? I intend having at least four or five live plants in the tank, and could someone please suggest the names of plants that would flourish in a low light situation? I have read up on plants, but I'm still confused as to what would be the best for my situation. I prefer to look of tall, broad leaf plants, but I'm opent to all suggestions.
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Postby Carylnz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 pm

By all means use these products if you want, I am sure they help a little but I would rather spend the money on plants and fish. The only one that really works well, from my understanding, is a bottled bacteria that is kept in the fridge. I can't comment though as it is not available in my country.
Some low light plants would be Anubias, Java fern (Microsorium pteropus), African fern (Bolbitis heudelotti), a lot of the Cryptocorynes, Hornwort (illegal in my country but OK in yours I think), and Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana).
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Scaley » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks for the advice Carylnz, I've taken it on board. :)
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Postby Scaley » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 am

Good evening folks,

Here's another question for you, if you don't mind. :D

Once my community tank is fully cycled, and I start introducing fish, I'd like to have at least two "feature fish", as well as some smaller fish.
Today I was down at my favourite LFS and spotted some Clown Loach that really caught my eye. After I got home and did some research on them I realised that they grew much too large for my 75 litre tank.

Can you suggest a similar sized fish as a juvenile Clown Loach that would be similar in colour, and just as eye catching, I could use as my "feature fish"?
Cheers,
John.
Scaley

Return to Beginners