new tank set up hows it look???

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

new tank set up hows it look???

Postby chopper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:38 pm

hi all been reading up on the site over the last few week with me just setting up a tank its been a great help so cheers. its a 60litre tank with gravel bottom fluval 2 filter and temp set at 25 and no real plants. when i set it up 2 week ago i got a squeeze of my brother in laws filter (after reading up on here) so should of got me a good start. 3 days ago i put in the first fish 4 xray tetra's just done a water test

amonia 0.1
nitrite 0.1
nitrate 25
ph 8

i was going to do a 20% water change tonight is this the right thing?? do i seem to be doing everything right so far?

also in 2 week i was going to add 4 mollies then 2 week after 4 guppies then leave it at that what do you think?? i know the mollies and guppys will breed but know a pet shop that will take them if any survive plus i might have room for 1 or 2 if any really take my fancy. any feedback or advice will be greatly recieved
chopper

Re: new tank set up hows it look???

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:30 pm

chopper wrote:i was going to do a 20% water change tonight is this the right thing?? do i seem to be doing everything right so far?

Yes & Yes :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:35 pm

I would have thought x-rays were a bit tender to use as first fish but have no personal experience with them so hope I am worng!
I would wait until the ammonia drops to 0 again before adding more fish. Usually allow 1 month between additions but the filter squeeze should have speeded it up. Slow and steady is the way to go :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Keep an eye on their tails, if there not as red as in my profile pic, there struggling
Mike...
englishmx

Postby chopper » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 am

thanks for your reply s carynlz apparently xray tetra's are more hardy than other tetra's so im lead to believe they should be more ideal for starter fish hope im right, englishmx thats a great tip thanks at the moment i would say there more or less the same as yours which is how they was when they came.
chopper

Return to Beginners