HELP! Possible problem with my tank

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

HELP! Possible problem with my tank

Postby J9P » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

I think I have a problem with my tank but I am having trouble working out what is wrong not having had much experience in tropical fish keeping yet so I would really appreciate some advice.

My tank has been set up since mid May. It is a 64 litre tank, rectangle, wider than it is tall.

3 swordtails, 3 guppies, 3 botia loaches, 1 cardinal tetra (originally 3 and planned to increase to 6). Sadly 1 cardinal tetra died a day after introduction due to stress so we were down to 2, this was a couple of weeks ago. I was about to go and add 4 more cardinal tetras today to bring it up to a group of 6 to make them happier and then that would be it for my tank. The tank also has 10 live plants which are growing really well and look quite healthy.

I was worried about one of the remaining Cardinal tetras as 2 days ago as its stomach became very distended but it was just after feeding them bloodworms and it came on very fast and so I thought he'd just overeaten, anyway the stomach went down so I thought it was ok. I'd read about dropsy but there was no signs of scales sticky out on it, other than the big tummy it looked perfectly normal. Anyway it sadly died last night so we are down to 1 poor little Cardinal tetra who is looking a bit stressed but he doesn't have any friends so I guess that is why.

I've noticed recently the guppies go up to the surface a lot but I am not sure if this is normal behaviour for guppies as they have always seemed to do this. Today the swordtails seem to be spending time at the surface too. I lost a swordtail early on due to high ammonia levels during cycling. That swordtail was constantly at the surface before it died and so you can see my concern.

I change the water every week. Usually a 25% change. Sometimes it goes to 8 days and if so I tend to change 30%. When I change the water I use a siphon that I clean the gravel with as it removes the water.

The filter is a Interpret PF2, I take it apart and ensure it is clean with no blockages when I do a water change. Otherwise I just clean the side of the tank with an aquarium scrubbing thing. I don't clean the ornaments, should I be doing this?

The tank temperature is 26 degrees, it has always been this as our house is quite warm and I cannot get the temperature lower but the fish have always seemed happy at this temperature.

I do not add anything other than tapsafe to dechlorinate the water, should I be adding anything else? Should I be adding something like filter boost?

I have not done anything to the media in the filter, does this need to be changed at all?

I have changed the foams in the filter once since May, should I do this more often?

I do not always have the bubbles facility on the filter, should I get something like an air stone to add more oxygen to the water?

I tested the water last night and the readings were as follows:

PH 7.5
GH 180
KH 240
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.3
Nitrate between 5 and 10

I'm a bit worried about the Nitrite reading, shouldn't this be 0?

The test kit I use for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate is the Nutrafin test kit with all the bottles and tubes. The GH & KH I test with a dip stick.

I just really need to know if I am doing something wrong and if so what that is, what I can do to rectify it. I am mortified when I lose a fish and my daughter is 6, she is at camp with school and will be upset if she comes home to a lot of dead fish so please help me!

Thanks in advance.
Janine :?
J9P

Re: HELP! Possible problem with my tank

Postby englishmx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 am

A NitrIte reading now matter how low can potentially be toxic for fish, I am guessing this is why you are noticing the fish at the 'top' of the tank.

Yes, do a water change, you want that NitrIte at 0

Don't change the filter foams, give them a gentle squeeze in tank water only when you notice the water flow dropping considerably, filters are best left well alone :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby J9P » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 am

OK thanks I will do. Should I do daily 25% changes until the Nitrite is back to zero then go back to weekly?

I don't really understand why the Nitrite has suddenly increased. Once the tank had been through the initial cycle, the ammonia and nitrite were down to zero and have been ever since until now.
J9P

Postby englishmx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 am

J9P wrote:OK thanks I will do. Should I do daily 25% changes until the Nitrite is back to zero then go back to weekly?

Sounds good to me :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby J9P » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 pm

OK that's great , I'll do that then. Thanks for your help. :D
J9P

Return to Beginners