returning to tropical fish

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

returning to tropical fish

Postby julielawn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:56 am

I kept a 40ltr tank succesfully 20 years ago, and now the children have grown wanted to keep a tank again, as is very rewarding (if I can get it right!) I have inherited a small tank of only 20 litres so I know it will be harder to stabilise and can only have a few tiny fish in this. I already need advice please..... I thoroughly cleaned the tank 2 weeks ago, and set it up with treated water and gravel, let it stand, then a week ago I added a couple of small ornaments, and one small live plant, the heater and filter. 3 days ago I added some enzyme/bacteria as my local, family run pet/aquaria shop advised me to. Friday afternoon, I tested the water ( amonia 0, nitrite 0) so on their advice I bought 2 male guppys, I tested the water again yesterday morning (still amonia & nitrite 0, nitrate had gone up a littel to 75, Gh was through the roof !! tho can't find what this means, KH 200 and PH 7.6) by 5pm one guppy had died, he actually was swimming around and then died more or less in front of me :( the other one looked a bit lathargic, I tested the water again, results as above, and ran straight down to my local pet shop to explain, they said nothing really wrong with the levels and not to treat the water as this can cause more harm, gave me credit note for lost fish and said watch the levels and remaining fish for a couple days. I got up this morning, and yes you've guessed it other guppy had died bless him. Now i've found your sight and am going to take note from the people who know !!! don't want to distress or harm any more little fish !! the levels this morning are amonia & nitrite still 0, nitrate dropped a little to 25, gh dropped a little to 200, kh down to 180 and ph bown to 6.8, (the local pet shop had told me the ph in this area is around 7) any advice greatly appreciated, glad I found this site, will take it slowly.....
julielawn

Re: returning to tropical fish

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:20 am

Quite frankly I would not cycle a tank with guppies. The quality of guppies these days leaves a lot to be desired. They used to be considered a hardy little fish but today's specimens tend to drop dead if you look at them sideways! Hardness shouldn't be affecting fish at this point, it is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby julielawn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am

thank you very much, the amonia and nitrite are still 0 this morning, nitrate has creeped up a little to between 25 & 50 so am thinking will leave as empty tank for a while longer ? I've had goldfish for years, so wondered if adding a little of their water would help the cycle process ? and if not guppies to start with what would be your thoughts on first fish to add to this small tank please ? I decided to make it pretty much a "tetra" tank and maybe when very stable just add a kuhli loach ? again any advice am very grateful, Julie
julielawn

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:11 am

Have you considered cherry barbs? A lovely little fish and hardy too. The Hengeli rasboras would also suit. A lot of the tetras need to be in a good sized group and your tank is not big enough :(
Are the goldfish in a tank with a filter? If so, use some of the media from their filter to seed the other one. There is not that much bacteria in the water itself.
I would not be adding any bottom dwellers until the tank has matured a few months.
Carylnz

Postby julielawn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 pm

thank you very much, I bought 3 tiny cherry barbs this afternoon, have left them alone until just putting the light on now, they look quite perky & happy swimming around together :) the pet shop told me no need to feed until tomorrow, so going to leave them in peace tonight, and hopefully all will be well.
thank you again for your help, will definitely find this forum and site a great help, Julie
julielawn

Postby julielawn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm

After a 20year break and starting again in Sept 2012 with a small 20ltr tank, I cycled and got the water stable, and had a happy little tank.... until Christmas when hubby bought me a new 64ltr tank :) I took it slowly and used plants and a filter sponge from my old small tank to get the cycle started before I added my 2 cherry barbs 12/1/13, water levels tested well, so added my 2 columbian tetra 15/1/13 and the last of fish from old small tank across 17/1/13, water levels still all good, and fish look happy and lively :) this fish keeping is addictive and am really enjoying my new tank. I have sand in my new tank instead of gravel, so would like to add a couple of Kuhli Loach ? any advice greatly appreciated.....
julielawn

Postby Carylnz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 am

Kuhlis love sand
Carylnz

Postby teri_w » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am

I too have returned to Fish Keeping... I had 2 tanks about 14 years ago, a 4 ft cold water with Oriental Fantails and 4 ft tropical with many varieties of small fish... so 14yrs & 1 divorce later, plus lots of thigs happening in life, I've decied to get myself another Tropical set up... it's a Modest 36x15x15 gravel based habitat and I have been cycling it for 3 weeks, and keeping a close eye on the waters balance... I've added 4 Black Neon & 4 Neon Tetras and they seem to have settled in quite well... when my tank is established I will be taking pictures... :)
teri_w

Postby ady » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm

welcome to TTT...enjoy your new tanks :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Beginners