Preparing a Biorb for a Xmas Present

New to fishkeeping? This is the place to find out whatever you need to know!

Preparing a Biorb for a Xmas Present

Postby jonana » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Hello

We have never had a fish tank before but have decided to get a 60l Biorb to keep some Guppies in. Our kids have been desperate for a pet for ages since our cats died and both of them love fish. We want to give them the tank for Christmas but having read lots of forums I think they will be extremeley frustrated if they get a nice shiny tank and then have to wait 4 - 6 weeks to cycle it! Therefore I have a plan! Please tell me if you think this will or won't work! The plan is to buy the tank now and in a few weeks set it up in our spare room (kids never go in there). Cycle it for 6 - 8 weeks and then on Christmas Eve decant most of the water into buckets. Move the tank downstairs and set it up again with water from buckets. The kids think Father Christmas bought them a nice fish tank and will then be able to go out a few days after Christmas and choose their own fish if the levels are ok still. Will this work or will taking all the water out and refilling it upset things too much?

Thank you!
jonana

Re: Preparing a Biorb for a Xmas Present

Postby orange guppy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:17 pm

hey,

I would say so long as you can move it pretty quickly and keep the filter fed until you get the fish then that sounds like a great plan :), I don't know if you know already but guppies should be kept at a ratio of 2-3 females per male, and also expect fry if you have females, it is useful to find a shop which will take fry as they grow up, sometimes they will give credit notes, alternatively some people just keep males.

good luck hope it all works out well
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby jonana » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think we will just go for males to start with. Don't think I can cope with crying children when the babies get eaten or we have to give them away! Males are prettier anyway! Would like to add some dwarf gourami later on.
jonana

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 am

Why a Biorb? Are you talking about a rectangular one or the round ones? I really dislike the round ones as I feel they are totally unsuitable for most fish species, but the rectangular ones are tall, rather than wide and this means limiting the type of fish you can have, and numbers, as well.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Beginners